Chet Baker movie Let's Get Lost

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Jun 21, 2010.

1. supportlivejazz

supportlivejazz Piano User

Dec 4, 2006
    Quonnie Breachway
    Heavy weight fashion photographer.

2. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    It is a very interesting documentary type presentation.

I have seen it several times, and it is always interesting to watch again.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That's where I remember him from ..... thanks supportivejazz. Way back, before digital was affordable, I used to be a (starving) lightweight fashion photographer.:-( Gave it up, couldn't handle all the "fashion babble". How many gorgeous women can a guy look at in one lifetime? After photographing around 800 models, or something like that, they all started looking the same.

A lot of fashion photographers were dabbling (or switching entirely) to music videos when I was working. Bruce Webber was one of the best. I used to get feeback from these guys that went into videos ..... "Musicians are soooooo much more interesting to hang around with (than models). But they're more stubborn, and harder to work with.":lol:

Turtle

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's cause we have a few more brain cells firing!;-)

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That depends on how old the musician and what the background is ..... 60's rock musician????

It was never my experience that models were "dumber" than anyone else, often they tended to be quieter and because they were beautiful, got stuck with certain labels. Very often they were too tall too young and not very popular in HS .... It's a bad label and it's just not true.

Turtle

6. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    This doc. was one of the big reasons I got back into playing. I remember hearing a CB record in the 90's and thinking it was somebody 'new' because his vocal tone was more like a pop singer than a buttery crooner. But his phrasing was anything but pop, it's impeccable, he sings like he plays.

7. Let's Get Lost

Let's Get Lost Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2010
    Near the river
    Just today I was at the music store and was surprised to see so many Chet Baker's CD's and even a vinyl one. I've listened to so much music throughout my life and never found something quite as good as Chet. It's always a pleasure listening to him, every single song is good.

YouTube - Chet Baker: "The Old Dog"

8. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    The older he got, the more "real" his playing and singing became. Its because of watching this movie in the early 90's that I have enjoyed the daily struggle of trying to be a jazz trumpet player! I listen to everyone but I always end up listening to Chet at the end of the day. There definately is something "hypnotic" about this movie!

9. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Decades of booze, weed and drugs along with him having to relearn how to play and sing with dentures after having most of his teeth pulled :shhh: after a beating will change one's tone.