Chewing Gum While Playing? Miles Davis

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tgl, Sep 11, 2010.

1. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
    Did Miles Davis have a habit of chewing gum while playing his trumpet?

Whenever I watch some of his later (1980s) performances it often looks like he's chewing gum when he's between measures or just resting.

Wondering if this might have been just a strange habit or if there was some kind of logic or superstition behind the practice.

Just wondering...

2. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
    I found my own answer... where would I be without my old trusted friend Mr. Google?

Ian Carr wrote in his book "The Definitive Biography" that Miles chewed gum because he suffered from dry mouth due to some of the medications he was on for different ailments.

FYI, I also see that John Lennon chewed gum too. There is also some speculation that some singers chew gum to keep their mouths moist.

Interesting...

3. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
    I found my own answer... where would I be without my old trusted friend Mr. Google?

Ian Carr wrote in his book "The Definitive Biography" that Miles chewed gum because he suffered from dry mouth due to some of the medications he was on for different ailments.

FYI, I also see that John Lennon chewed gum too. There is also some speculation that some singers chew gum to keep their mouths moist.

Interesting...

4. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I think I remember seeing in an interview that Miles said he chewed gum to help with quitting smoking- I guess it's supposed to help.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I like playing with gum. I won't with my Strad, but with my marching horns I will. When its hot/cold and dry out, having the gum helps to keep my lips moist for longer, getting rid of the need to lick them constantly. I just have to wash my horns more often to keep the gum juices from sitting inside.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ------------
    Miles liked illegal drugs. Often when people do substances that have a amphetamine quality(like cocaine or crank), they will work their jaw as if chewing gum. It will look kinda like they are trying to 'pop' their jaw into place.
    Then again, maybe what you saw Miles actually chewing gum while playing to keep his mouth from drying out. However, I've seen clips of Miles doing the "jaw thing" and its classic amphetimine behavior just like the constant digging and scratching as if the person has fleas which is another behavior of junkies.

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I chew gum BEFORE playing to clean my mouth, but I can't imagine chewing it WHILE playing ... "FOOMP! Oops, there went my gum!"