Chewing notes??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tptmusicaz, Sep 28, 2010.

1. tptmusicaz

tptmusicaz Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2006
    Arizona
    Hello all,

I have a trumpet student who just recently started taking lessons with me. I noticed that she moves her entire jaw when tonguing like she's chewing the notes. This causes her to have an overly strong attack for each note. I'm trying to get her to stop moving her jaw and just focus on relaxing her tongue to get a more even, lighter attack but am running into a wall. I'm hoping some of you have some suggestions as to help her with this.

Thanks,

James

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You could try just having her say taaa,taaa,taaa, without the horn. Tell her to feel how her tongue feels as she does this. have her connect the taaas. Now you play say a middle G and tongue a bunch of easy connected 1/4/notes. tell her to make it sound like what you did and think taaa. tell her to only move the least amount of tongue or just the tip of the tongue. She's chewing because she's moving way too much tongue.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You might want to try the Farkas approach of getting her to that at will, then asking her to stop.

It works!

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Now I gotta check and see if I'm chewing notes!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is often wiser to teach to get the breathing up to the tonguing level than moving the tonguing back to the weak breathing level.

If proper breathing is part of the daily routine AND is controlled by a good teacher, most issues go away without making a deal out of it.

7. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I would have to agree with Rowuk... this can also be an issue of not understanding exactly "how" to articulate. So like what Bob suggested above, having the student (in a mirror) practice "saying" taaa or daaa without moving their jaw so that the tongue becomes the articulator. Is that a word?

HA

Keith

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Keith,
    It appears that the problem the young student is having isn't with the tongue or breathing. Without the tongue, we can't articulate squat and without air, well, you know.
    I could be way off base but what the student has to learn (which we do automatically) is that articulation on the trumpet is kinda like being the guy working with a dummy.
    The audience sees the dummy setting on a person's lap talking up a storm but the person doing the talking never moves their chin or lips.
    It's kinda like that for trumpet too. Our faces barely move but our trumpets are talking up a storm.
    I had this "chewing" problem with my daughter. The behavior just seemed to appear one day and I asked her "why are you moving your chin"?
    Of course, being a kid she said "I don't know"
    I used the dummy analogy to help her understand and get past this and also had her to look in the mirror. Within 4 or 5 days the behavior was gone.
    ---
    Is the articulator a word?
    It is now. "The Articulator"
    It sounds like something I've seen in the windows of certain "boutiques" in New York City.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  9. tptmusicaz

tptmusicaz Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2006
    Arizona
    All good responses (ok...maybe not the shock collar ROFL). I did have her hold her chin to feel what she's doing and suggest working in front of a mirror. Believe it or not, I did use the analogy of a ventrilquist speaking without moving the mouth. We worked on saying taaa and trying to transfer that. Hopefully working in front of a mirror will do the trick. Her air is definately not an issue...I think she's never had a private teacher that really paid attention before (I'm her 2nd teacher and her parents tell me the other teacher was only concerned with notes and fingering).

I'm glad that the comments you all gave were things I had used (some validation that I'm on the right track).

Thank you all and I'll let you know how things progress over the next few lessons.

James