"Chewing" while playing...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jurandr, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    My little sister started playing trumpet at the beginning of last year, and so far she's coming along nicely, but when she tongues, her chin moves up and down as though she's chewing something. I noticed the other new trumpets at her school don't do that. Is this 'chewing action' a problem that needs to be corrected? If it is, how would she go about fixing the problem?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

If my memory serves me right, the horn teacher at my school does that too. What to do about it, I have no idea, but its definitely not the end of her playing. It could cause airflow problems (non-consistent air, etc.) but :dontknow:
    lets see what the people who actually know things about trumpet say :D

3. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    get her to a private teacher?
    thats all i can say *shrug*
    good luck

4. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    When the chin moves down, the aperture (the space between the lips) gets really big. This will make trumpet playing a lot more difficult later for most people as a small aperture is needed to play higher notes. I sit next to a trombone player that does the same thing, though I believe it isn't as much as a problem for him as he plays a lower-pitched instrument. If the "chewing" motion is very big and noticable, then it MIGHT impede the player's ability to tongue faster notes.

Though I agree with note360 about a private teacher. A professional, not some college student working with a music store.

5. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Jur,

She should practice articulating on the mouthpiece alone. In time her "toy, toy, toy" should morph into "too, too, too".

I used to have cousins in Pontiac, by the way.

Best,
    EC

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    I question if she is even actually tonguing.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've had some students who "chewed," and it isn't that uncommon--most of the time that we use our tongue we are eating or talking (not both at the same time though, gross!) and it can sometimes be difficult to separate the jaw and tongue action. I used to put scotch tape on my student's chins--any chewing motion would be telegraphed immediately, and they would quickly learn to keep the chin still, especially since I threatened to escalate to duct tape!.

8. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I've found that a mirror on the music stand works well with my students. If the student can see the problem, it's a bit easier to fix.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a chewy vibrato sometimes.............

The best way to learn it right the first time is to have a proper role model. I don't generally tell my beginning students much about embouchure or tongue. I play first and they play back - the whole lesson. It is amazing how fine their antennae are! They see much more than we could ever explain!

I played Buglers Holiday (transposed down to Eb) with two of my students (9 and 10 years old) that have only been playing a bit more than a year. I played 3rd. the quarter was >144.