Chicago Charts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hillbilly Joe, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe New Friend

Jan 15, 2010
    upstate, NY
    Does anyone have pdf files of Chicago transcriptions for trumpet that they can e-mail me? It would be a huge help for me this week. Looking for Beginnings in particular.

2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hey, Joe!

Have you tried listening to and playing along with the recording(s)? I used to do that with Herb Alpert and the TJB when I was first starting out with trumpet. I also listened to concerti and played along with the recordings. I've even (occasionally) played along with Chicago and BS&T for fun. You don't really need the music if you >know< the music!

Try it! you might be suprised at how easy it is! (It's good ear training, as well!)

Guy

3. Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe New Friend

Jan 15, 2010
    upstate, NY
    yes, I am getting better and better at that the more I do it - I just didn't think I would have the time this week to get the chart done by today. I ended up getting it done last night, and I transcribed most of the trumpet solo at the end of beginnings as well. At least I will know it better than just reading it.

4. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Feeling better, every day, huh? ;-)

I'm glad to hear you took the initiative and did it yourself! This is EXCELLENT training (I think!) for your ear and musicianship. Being able to transcribe a part from a recording is a great skill to have, and helps your sense of pitch, as well as making you think about rythmns and phrasing, too!

Excellent!

Guy Clark

tobylou8 likes this.
  5. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    The trumpet/trombone duet at the end of Beginnings is just improvised. Wouldn't it be better to improvise your own solo over the chord changes?

6. Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe New Friend

Jan 15, 2010
    upstate, NY
    better is a matter of opinion - you might think it is better, I might know that I can't improvise as well as Lee played it....so, I think I'll play the transcription and take credit for work already done :)

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Hillbilly Joe,
    Here's what I did. I purchased two books called Chicago Transcribed Scores Vols 1 & 2.
    Then I took the trumpet parts and wrote them out on Finale notepad (which I think is a free download, if its no longer free there are others that are.) to separate them from the book which has all the parts written like a conductor's score. All I can say WOW!!!
    Since I have the songs on CD, I now have the best Chicago play along money can buy. The sheet music is written exactly as the CD goes. It as if you are in the band.
    Here's info if you want to get the sheet music books:
    Chicago Transcribed Scores Vol.1 Hal Leonard ISBN 0-7935-7064-6
    Chicago Transcribed Scores Vol.2 Hal Leonard ISBN 0-7935--7066-2
    ----
    As for the recorded songs, just download them off of Rapsody, Amazon or whatever your favorite download site. Be sure the songs are from the studio recordings and not one of the many live recordings that exist.

8. trptplus

trptplus New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi Hillbilly Joe,

Did you get a copy of the trumpet solo to Beginnings? If you did could you please send me a copy?

Thanks.

9. trptplus

trptplus New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi Hillbilly,
    Are the trumpet parts in these books written for Bb Trumpet or do they need to be transposed?

10. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    The transcribed solo is written for Bb trumpet, and no transposing is required. But, you'll have to extract the trumpet lines from a "grand staff" that includes all of the band's currently-playing instruments. (And, the trumpet solo for Beginnings covers five pages in the book.)

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post up tiny partial samples of sheet music, but this is a small example of how the charts are laid out within the Hal Leonard Chicago series. (Moderators - feel free to delete the below pic if I performed a no-no. :-?)

Anyway, as you can see, the transcription of the solo is the real deal, following Lee's solo note-for-note. And, both books are worth their weight in gold if you're a Chicago fan. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]