Chicago Charts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hillbilly Joe, Jun 6, 2010.

1. trptplus

trptplus New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    Thanks for you reply. I mot going to be playing alot of Chicago but am mainly interested in the Beginnings Trumpet solo. Dou you have this in a PDF that you could send me?

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    A pdf copy of it would be copyrighted by Hal Leonard (and/or Chicago)... can't you buy the books and support music publishing?

3. trptplus

trptplus New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    It's just that I'm unemployed now and kind of watching my dollars and I would really only need this song.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I hear ya... times are tough.

Lots of musicians are unemployed because no one pays for music anymore. Producers want a 5-6 piece band instead of 20, so 14 guys are still waiters. 20 - 25 years ago when I was a jazz studies music major in college we jokingly called it "pre-unemployment" (like pre-med, or pre-law). Kind of a gallows humor.

I understand you are broke, but somewhere in the back of your mind keep the thought that if no one buys music, then musicians (and publishers, producers, composers, arrangers, etc..) don't make any money. If you don't make any money then you have to go do something to make a living. The next thing you know we will have generations of people that think a guy jumping up and down on a stage grabbing his crotch and yelling into a microphone is music (overdubbed on his pirated "samples" - OY!)

5. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Yep, I tend to agree with jiarby on this one. I posted the sample strictly as an incentive to buy the book(s) (and to provide the benefit of knowing exactly what it looks like prior to your purchase).

Being a musician myself, it's important to me that my fellow artists, writers, transcribers, publishers, etc. all have the benefit of being rewarded for their respective efforts. I respect their source of income, just as they respect mine.

Sorry, but nothing personal. :-)

6. trptplus

trptplus New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    I'm willing to pay for the PDF but I don't need the entire book. Would sell me just the Beginnings song?

Thanks.

7. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Boy kids are sure different today....they want it all ready to play and go.
    I remember hours of joy locked in my room playing along to records. No need for anything than my trumpet and my ears. Wore the grooves off of all those Chicago records. When I started working in cover bands the charts were already there in my head . Oh well the digital age does have it's merits I suppose too:dontknow: