Chicago Mahler 5 at Carnegie Hall

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by MalinTrumpet, Nov 6, 2005.

1. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    I just returned from hearing Chris Martin play Mahler 5 at Carnegie Hall. This was an excellent performance and it looks like the Chicago Symphony has a "keeper"as their new principal trumpet. Chris did a wonderful job.

I saw something I've never seen before. Just after the last movement ended, Barenboim did not acknowledge the audience (which was going crazy) but remained on the podium with his back to the house. Then, the first thing he did was give Chris a solo bow. The audience rose en masse. Quite an introduction to New York City for the new solo trumpet of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra! Barenboim then gave each brass and woodwind principal a solo bow.

The concert also included Schoenberg's Variations for Orchestra.

Larry Malin

2. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Mr. Martin is doing an amazing job. I also heard them do Mahler 5 a few weeks ago and it was a performance that just brought one of those uncontrollable smiles to my face (you know what I’m talking about?) and sent me home in a daze. It was the most amazing live performance of anything I’ve ever seen. They are amazing players and I’m glad to have them in my home town.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I heard the Chris play Mahler 5 here last year with the ASO the day before he went up to audition. He is not only a great player, but also a humble guy. I hope you guys in Chicago enjoy hearing him as much as I did the years he was down here in Atlanta.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The new rumor is that he was offered tenure. Now, that's one rumor I'd like to be true as we could finally put the saga of that chair to rest and just let Chris be Chris.

Wouldn't THAT be nice?

ML

5. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Yea. maybe let the guy loosen up and relax a bit?
    Everyone deserves a little securtiy on the job~
    gregc

6. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    I heard about Chris' tenure offer from a very reliable source yesterday. Good for all parties involved.

7. MalinTrumpet

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Yes, he was offered tenure.

Yesterday I played a concert with the sister of a Chicago Symphony brass player (6th degrees of separation?) who told me he was offered tenure. The orchestra also selected a new principal oboe. An historic day for the CSO.

Larry Malin

8. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Who was the oboe player?

9. MalinTrumpet

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Don't know his name. I believe he was in the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra.

10. Norm

Norm New Friend

Sep 22, 2005
    Oregon USA
    From what I read on these postings, the trumpet gets a good workout in the Mahler 5. Does this occur in any particular movement(s)... solos, etc.? (I'm not familiar with this work, but soon will be, I'm sure).

Thanks.

Norm