Chicago ------> Portland?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by jazzman54, Nov 20, 2003.

1. jazzman54

jazzman54 New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    why did Monette move from the middle of the country to portland. nothing against portland but i don't get it... seems like monettes really big players.. wynton and schlueter are on the east coast.

2. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out!

romey

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Wow, Romey.......... ;-)

That is sure to start some feedback.
    I understood Bud was an original investor in the company. When things did not work out between he and Dave, things got prickly. I heard rumors that he wanted his money back..........

Also, at a time the guys in the Lyric Opera Orchestra were using Monettes (I don't know if they still are). And the climate of Oregon is more condusive to Monette's Yoga teaching.
    I think the players in the Oregon Symphony are using Monettes, so he has more friendlies in Oregon than Chicago.

Can anybody elaborate on this (Without getting sued?)

Mike

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know Dave used to work in Salem, OR...

He probably moved his shop for two big reasons.

1. $$ (cheaper to run a shop outside of a major city)

2. He likes living in Oregon very much and feels "at home".

Just my opinions,

Trent

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    That's kind of what I thoguth too. Oregon is a wonderful state (my personal favorite, especially after attending grad school in Eugene). And Portland is one of the most beautiful cities in the USA. I was last out there September of 2002 for the Eugene Celebration (3 day Hippie Fest). Althought it was September, there were still roses growing all over the city.

I urge any of you who can to visit Dave's shop. He has a breathtaking view of Mount Hood out his window.

Who would'nt leave Chi-Town for Paradise? :-)

mike

6. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out!

romey

7. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    i know what you mean, Romey. I did not visit the shop last Sepember either, now that I am playing a Laskey C.

But I was also out there about 4 years ago, when I was still playing Monettes. As usual, Tom Rainey was nice to me and helped me, while Monette pretty much ignored me. But, that is still an incredible view.

Mike

(Portland is also a lot cheaper than Seattle. Lots of unemployed hippies wandering around).

M.

8. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out!

romey

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    You'er preachin' to the choir, Romey. I agree with you.
    I got the last laugh on Dave, though. With all three of my Monette horns (a C, Bb, and Eb, I sold them for twice what I paid for them. (I got them in 1988-1989) :-)

I do practice yoga and meditation, which i don't feel gets in the way of my religious beliefs. I think is helpful to all of me, not just my trumpet playing.

By the way, you guys may want to keep an eye on the upcoming second trumpet auditions in the Baltimore Symphony. The current principal one his audition on a Bach, then switched to a Monette after he got the job.

The auditions could be interesting..........

Mike

10. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    does dave have koolaid at the store?

gotta be carefull :shock: