chicago vs. signature

Discussion in 'Horns' started by EricNavy, Jan 30, 2004.

1. EricNavy

EricNavy New Friend

Jan 30, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Has anyone tried the Chicago as well as the Signature series? I'm interested in a little compare and contrast in regards to tone quality, intonation, etc. if possible. Also, which of these horns seems the most versitile to you guys? Thanks!
    -Eric

2. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    Kanstul 1500S vs. Chicago 1070

I have a Kanstul 1500S and a Chicago 1070 and both are excellent. They're different, though.
    The 1500S has a heavy copper bell and medium resistance. The sound is very "solid" and warm. If you're looking for a bright, "paint peeler" lead horn, this isn't it. For solo and section work, classical or jazz, it's great.
    The 1070 is a Claude Gordon .470 Benge clone, but much improved. The sound is terrific and it has very low resistance. It's perfect for me, but not for everyone.
    Valves and slides on both horns are perfect. Intonation, for me, is excellent.
    I was perfectly happy with the 1500S until I played the 1070. Now I'll be putting the 1500S on eBay. I can't afford both of them.

3. 2LIP

2LIP New Friend

Nov 28, 2003
    I had an opportunity to try models from both lines. If you love the Benge trumpets of old, then try the Chicago line. They are bright, but not harsh, and the one that I played had plenty of resistance to lean against. They were nice, but I kept going back to the 1500 and 1600 signature horns. I eventually (after much discussion with Charles Hargett) decided to get the 1600 for many reasons.

The Signature horns just had the blow and feel that I like in my hands. FWIW, all of them are great, so it comes down to what is your preference.

LIP

4. Liberty Lips

Liberty Lips Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2003
    japle,

The 1070 isn't exactly like the CG; the CG had a very lightweight bell with a .464 "choke" where the bell comes out of the valve section, and the 1070 is a normal weight bell with no bore change after the valves. The 1070 is probably closer to the 6x Benge, and also to the Besson Meha .470 that Kanstul used to make for Boosey and Hawkes, before they discontinued it. One of the "Burbank" trumpets that Kanstul made (or still makes) for Michael Thomas is supposed to be exactly the same as the CG.

5. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    I used to own a Chicago and it was a great horn. I used in Orchestra and in a brass quintet. I have been fortunate enough to play a lot of the signature models. I personally like the 1500 copper bell, 1503 and 1504 models. However, if you choose the Chicago Model or the Signature Models you can't go wrong they are all fine horns.

Mike