Chicago's Trpt - Lee Loughnane

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NJtrpt, Nov 30, 2006.

1. NJtrpt

NJtrpt New Friend

Nov 16, 2006
    I recently had an oppurtunity to see the rock band Chicago live and was actually impressed with Lee Loughnane's trpt playing. I think that he has improved significantly over his career, esp. compared to some of his soloing from the early days of Chicago.

As a trumpet player myself, I'd be curious to know where you think he ranks as a player. Personally, I don't think he is in the same league as Doc, Maynard etc (true jazz players), however, he is a solid section player, going up to about high F# / G live in concert.

As a horn player I've always been a huge Chicago fan. Curious what others think....

Have a good one !!

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Yea, Lee's playing has definitely gotten better since the early days. It is my understanding that he got into the Claude Gordon thing. I wouldn't call him a great player, but now he does seem to be solid at what he does.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Chicago sound has always been unique and Lee's playing always fit perfectly. What more could you want? he still has a job doing what he does!

I don't think that I would want to "rate" him unless he played something "universal" like the Haydn Concerto badly (I am not assuming that he would play badly, I would pass judgement for myself if it happened).

I see no need for ranking ANY player. Either you like what they do or you do not. Who is really in a position to judge another player and give them a fair ranking? Just look at the Wynton ratings - for some the best there is, for others, seemingly average. Miles Davis, Maurice André - they all have "mixed ratings". Of course putting down a world class player may make the inferior feel better.......................
    Better for us NJ would be to tell us who YOU admire and why. It is amazing how this can add to our total perspective and sometimes leads us to new waters!

4. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Chicago (trumpet)

ITG had an article about him a while back. Definitely worth checking out. As far as ranking or judging other players....be very careful. There is such a wide range of requirements in our world and no one can really fill all of them. Who else could play the stuff with the group Chicago the way he did (does)?

I still love his solo in "The Girl from Buchanon".

I have always loved his playing and I am basically a legit orchestral player.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

5. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Listening to Bobby Burns every night has to help.

6. NJtrpt

NJtrpt New Friend

Nov 16, 2006
    All,
    Great points. I do agree.

Please excuse the poor choice of words on my part. "Ranking" was probably not the best way to ask the question. I agree that firstly ranking would be a subjective type of thing, in addition, its almost like comparing apples to oranges when you try to compare a jazz player, to a rock player, to a classical, to a brass choir player etc etc etc.

Meant no disrespect to anyone. Not to mention that I had the oppurtunity to meet Lee a few times and he is one of the most down to earth people, taking his time to chat with me about trumpet playing, etc.

BTW..... agree also about the comment about B. Burns. What a solid player !! :)

Take care.
    Paul

7. John Mohan

John Mohan Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    Chicago
    http://www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/9802laba.pdf

In the above article, Loughnane attributes his vastly increased trumpet-playing ability, range, sound and endurance to his studying with Claude Gordon student Paul Witt, and also to the Claude Gordon Selmer trumpet and Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece he has been playing on since the mid '90's.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

8. John Mohan

John Mohan Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    Chicago
    Hey this is an old thread, but as I came across it during a search I discovered that the link I gave for the Loughnane interview is no longer at that address. Jeff Purtle has the interview on his website though, at:

https://www.purtle.com/lee-loughnane-interview

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, he has gotten better, but it also depended on when you heard him in the early years. Watched a documentary on them many years ago and I think it was him that pointed out it was tough to play on drugs. They showd a clip when you were supposed to hear the fabulous jazz solo (one of my two favorite) at the rhythm transition and beginning of "does Anybody know what time it is (think I've got the right name)" and all you hear is nothing and then 2 splats nowhere near the right notes. Not one note even close. I was glad he shared that for others that might be tempted.

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

It isn't all that important to take things as far as Maynard and Doc did.

Loughnane's performance on "Does Anybody Really Know What Time it Is?" is priceless. As he is in trumpet solo from "Anxieties Moment" and other stuff from "Ballet For A Girl From Buchanan"".

He has a great tone.

In fact it is the "Loughnane's" of this world we ought strive to imitate not the Maynard's. Reason? The goal is more attainable.

I rarely see trumpet players who've got Loughnane's chops around the local mills. A solid High C occasional F/G and good tone/intonation. Keep in mind that very few players on this forum have those kind of chops. Regardless of the claims you may read.