Chicago's Trpt - Lee Loughnane

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NJtrpt, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Forgot to mention: "State Of The Union" as lib solo. Beyond cool.

Of course if you took a copy of the lyrics of this tune through TSA you'd probably have gotten bumped from your flight

"State Of The Union"

Chicago - State of the Union - YouTube

2. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Lee has always had a nice sound and he is the right fit for that band. He isn't a screamer and doesn't need to be.
    I once heard Chicago when Lee Thornburg was subbing, I think Loughnane's wife was having a baby. Thornburg is a wonderful player but the band didn't have the Chicago sound with him there.
    I have always noticed that Lee L. always seems to be enjoying himself on stage. He obviously found his niche and ran with it.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Lee has always been one of my favorite, and that is the ranking that counts to me. And we are going to get better if we continue to play. In Lee's case, better is relative... At that time he was a better player... just look at him now.

4. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Lee is a great musician in that his playing makes the HORN SECTION sound great! No hot dogging, just solid ensemble playing. They sound like a section, not a bunch of individuals.

Garry

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    One of my favorite groups of all time.

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    It doesn’t matter who likes Loughnane and who doesn’t. He is THE Chicago trumpet player, and owns the best trumpet job in the world, playing Chicago music for a living, how can it get ANY better than that !! And he earned that title ! I’ve heard Lee Thornburg play that book live and he SMOKED it that night, better than I’ve ever heard it played, it doesn’t matter though, it’s Loughnane’s book and he covers it wonderfully.
    I love his uniformity in tone and character, he’s always there, nailing the centers, great job Lee !!!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't get me wrong, I do love Louchnane's playing [see above post] but you ask how can it get ANY better than that!! My answer is, I would rather take over Mic Gillett's place... not that he's any better... I just like the company he keeps a little better... I just have a little more funk flowing through my blood than rock.

8. flacoman

flacoman Pianissimo User

Oct 4, 2011
    As a child of the 70's I wanted to be Lee Or Bill Chase when I grew up!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hmmm... I did not know Lee and Bill got married. Interesting they chose Bill's name. Definately easier to spell.

10. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    As a trumpet player, I've always liked Chicago and Lee Loughnane. Imagine--in the late '60's/early '70's, we had Chicago and Blood, Sweat and Tears!! Where are the rock bands with horn sections NOW?? By the way, I learned recently that a guy I went to high school with (a woodwind doubler) plays with Chicago when they're in the San Antonio area, which is where my friend lives now. What a gig, eh??

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012