Chichowitz Lyrical Long Tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kent, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I hope I am not starting a redundant thread but my searching didn't turn up much on this topic: what has been others' experience using the Chicowitz long tone series over the long term.
    I have been using them daily as the "first thing you do" after some buzzing and breathing exercises each morning (albeit on the bottom level of my parkade at work). I had some lessons with one of Chicowitz students (she studied with him for 3 years) who introduced the long tones and the manner in which to play them to me.
    She emphasised that consistent use of them in the right manner would lead to good results and she was certainly right.
    I'm certainly interested in what anyone esle has to say.

Kent

2. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    What kind of good results do you attribute to long tones?

I find the topic of long tones rather interesting. Some very good teachers do not advocate them (H. Clarke warned of the dangers of long tones) and some highly recommend them.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Vern

3. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    The way I was show to play them was to do so with a llot of rest between lines and to focus on the quality of sound while starting the first tone and then as you follow the line. I take 15 to 20 minutes a play a mp-mf andreally pay attention to making sure that i support every tone. I just go until it breaks down-some days I get to the concert C above the staff and some days lower. uite unlike the loud and hard long tones I have played. The VCs are more for tone uality and air supposrt rather than endurance, etc as far as I can tell.

My ability to start a tone, keep it in pitch and do so with ease has really improved, as well as my tone, which has really become more mature.

I was also instructed to do them and then put the horn away for a while (I usually do rhytmic work and sing a piece of current repertoire.) I can also hear the pitch for the higher tones much better as well.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Are you talking about the "Flow Voclises?" They are included in his excerpt book but you used to have to get them from a copy place in Evanston.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am a strong advocate of long tones. They give us time to concentrate on that what is important - development of tone, relaxed body, steady air, lower mouthpiece pressure, body use, attitude, patience, dedication. And all of this for FREE!

6. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I can't attach copy of the exercise I am using. as the system restricts what i can upload, just message me and I can e-mail you the copy. This is the only exercise by VC that I am aware of though i would like to get my hands on what else is available.

I agree with Rowuk about long tones-these have certainly reduced tension, pressure of the mp, etc for me. They are also done with one big breath per line.