Chicowicz (?) flow studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigdog, Nov 10, 2007.

1. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    hi all,
    does any one know where i can pick this up if it's still available ?
    i'm curious to know what it's about and the type of studies it has
    mahalo,

2. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I got mine from Northwestern University (The School of Music) in Evanston, Illinois 60201. It cost $14.00. It's a 67 page booklet in basic Kinko's, etc. binding. It's another wonderful exercise book, and I'll leave it to the more experienced players and teachers to comment about it's musical value...........crow

3. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    Ask around the trumpet community you are a part of. Someone is bound to have the flow studies. Or as the previous poster mentioned call up Northwestern. There used to be a copy shop near the school that sold the packet.

4. highbrass

highbrass Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Honolulu, HI
    The Cichowicz Flow Studies is available at some music stores and online retailers. I got mine from Tulsa Band; they are fast and have loads of great trumpet-related method books and sheet music.

Tulsa Band Instruments, Inc. :: Music :: Method Books :: Trumpet :: Trumpet Flow Studies

As to what the studies cover, as the forward in the book mentions, it is "to develop a free, flexible production of sound upon which all aspects of trumpet technique depend...Herbert L. Clarke, who deplored so called 'long tone' studies, espoused the practice of material with movement instead of long tones (i.e. : Technical Studies) and is the forefather of this concept." Many players, including myself, use the flow studies to check the air flow. They are a more interesting and melodic way to do long tones and keep the air going.

Liz

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm also curious as to what we might expect for our $14. Does it include the "Wizard of Oz" "Munchkin Slave Song?" (Da-i-ah,la-ii-ah) Nope, I'm not kidding--I've got a copy (or rather had, but the puppy is memorized by now) of the "Charlie Butler Routine" which does some amazing things for flexibility based on, uhhh, air flow, and includes the aforementioned WOO lick. Anyway, I'm also curious.

6. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    Where do you get the Charlie Butler routine.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    At a Charlie Butler clinic in the 1980's.

8. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Vulg,

Do you know that Charlie and I were roommates at NU for a year? We were at the Interlochen Arts Academy together as well.

Where is he and what is he doing these days? (reply off board?)

Best from LA,
    EC

9. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Ed,
    That's very interesting about you and Charley being roommates and in school together.

Since you asked, Charley still lives in the Seattle area, and seems to be doing well. I played a gig with him in May where he was his usual self, and sounded great too! He's been playing in many parts of the world in recent years, and is also modifying instruments to make them play better.

I will send you his email address in a PM.

Best,
    Matt

10. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    A couple of years ago I saw Charley Butler playing on TV with the Seattle Symphony (I think) The piece was Firebird and he sounded fantastic! Might have seen this on PBS????