Chippewa Falls "Marching Cardinals"

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by PhatmonB6, Oct 18, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    When I heard the news over the weekend it really hit me hard, My heart goes out to the families that lost loved ones and to everyone affected by this tragedy. :cry: . You never think that something like this is ever going to happen. I remember when I was in marching band and we traveled to Winnipeg Canada to do a half time show for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (I think that was the teams name this was back in 1982). Traveling by bus with all your bandmates all that is really on your mind is having fun, performing well and visiting a new place, you are never really prepared for tragedy. Anyways, to anyone who may know anyone who goes to Chippewa Falls Senior High School or who does attend, my prayers are with you.

Sincerely,
    Robert.

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=3990684&nav=51s7

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, this is a horrendous, sad story. I heard about it over the radio while on a beautiful drive in the Wisconsin countryside. I have been thinking about those folks and I'm amazed there wasn't more loss of life.

I wish the families of the dead and injured the peace that only time can bring. Thanks for posting this news, Robert.

ML

3. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    This is terrible news. I heard about it on TV and my heart sank. As Robert said, these trips are not just about the competitions, but the fun those kids have on the way there (and back). Having directed marching bands before I really identified with this situation.

My thoughts and prayers have been with them. It may sound a tad morbid, but at least the loss of life was minimal. Sadly, it is probably going to take these kids a long time to overcome this...

Z

4. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    This one hit pretty hard for me. I was at Whitewater as an assistant to another band in the competition. I've also been on many band bus trips over the years and thought of all the fun I've had. What a shock and loss for those students and families. My heart goes out to them as well.

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I have traveled that route hundreds of times, in all hours of the day and night. It sounds like the truck driver lost control, and the bus driver had no time at all to react. There was probably nothing he could have done. I have also been on my share of band/bus trips. The people who were killed were probably sitting right in front. The bus driver has hardly any metal between him and whatever he hit. The band director and his wife were probably sitting in the first row of seats by the door; their grandaughter behind them, and the student teacher in the front row, left side. The first 5-7 feet of that bus was gone, according to the pictures. While the loss of 5 lives is 5 too many, I am amazed that it was not more.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the deceased and for all the people on that bus.

By the way, the news here in Minneapolis said the truck driver was driving with a suspended license, do to no paying a traffic ticket. I am sure we will hear from the driver, eventually, why he lost control of the truck.

This is just terrible. I have to drive my wife up to Fargo next week. We leave around 1:00 PM, drive up for her meeting, then have to drive back that same night so she can teach the next day. You can be sure this accident will be on my mind that night, and I will take extra cautions to stay mentally alert.

God Bless these people.

Mike