Choosing a trumpet for a come-back trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gustavomoretto, Apr 14, 2008.

1. gustavomoretto

gustavomoretto New Friend

Dec 17, 2007
    Hi everybody!

This is a cheerfull place indeed.
    I once asked a trumpet player friend of mine how he was doing (in general). He told me he he wasn't sure at that moment (the blues..)
    I asked him wherther he was still playing the trumpet, and he said "of course"
    I then told him he was doing very well...

I want to buy a trumpet. I started playing again a couple of months ago after not playing for only 30 years (...)
    I am a musician, composer, pianist and I want to put some color into the performances of my own music.
    I've been looking at Yamaha's Xeno 8335G models and they seem to have a very focused pitch and seem easy to play. It seemed a bit bright in the lower register but it may be me and not the horn.
    Do you have any coments/suggestions?

Thanks a mill.!

Gustavo

2. Original_Username

Original_Username Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    This may be overstated and cliche, but don't limit yourself to one brand of trumpet. However, the Xeno is quite a good instrument of great quality. My best friend owns one and I'm allowed to "play" around with it from time to time. The only thing I can find that is negative is that it has too much resistance for me. That could be a good thing though for some players.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Gustavo,

Troll through this website - there are many, many comments on selecting the right instrument. Bottom line seems to me to be simple, try before you buy. Try everything you can, carry a mouthpiece in your pocket and every music store becomes your private assessment booth. Try even (especially) the ones out of your price range, because you may be able to find a good second hand instrument later. Try everything, and as you do take notes - I believe you should use the same piece of music etc as your assessment tool. Others on this site will have plenty of good advice. We all have favourites, and we all have different shapes, volumes, intonation, needs, budgets and aims, and we are ALL biaised - you have to decide for yourself - but you can't make any decision without proper knowledge gained, yes you guessed it, from trying before you buy. By all means take advice from educated and experienced others - but decide in haste, regret at leisure.

4. gustavomoretto

Dec 17, 2007
    Thank you guys!

mmmm Sounds like a painfully correct advise (I wanted to buy the horn ASAP).

One more question: is bore size related to how much playing you do, or how much expierence you have? Is M, ML or L an issue for a come-back?

5. Original_Username

Original_Username Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    No, I believe that bore size can change the "feeling" and sound of the horn. ML is the usual size, but a L can make the horn feel more "open."

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Gustavo, welcome back to the horn! Play as many as you can. Also, your skills, if you go at the practice thing diligently, will increase. Those future skills will give different answers as to what horn to buy, as may additional information you gain along the way, compared to things now.

Play bunches. Have fun!

7. dmh737

dmh737 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2007
    North Alabama
    Getzen, Getzen, Getzen!!!!

Dave

8. gustavomoretto

Dec 17, 2007
    Thank you all for your kind advise.
    I'll make the choice with the help of some good player and then we'll see...
    I will probably post that choice and then hear the thunder ;-)

Thanks again!

Gustavo

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I would say, find an unfashionable brand of vintage horn you can get for a few hundred dollars. Personally, I'm a fan of Buescher, which is no secret. Older Blessing horns might be the best deal. Play that horn until you wear it out.

Tom

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    See Gustavo - our biaises, and our great experiences of many wonderful instruments, have begun. They are all intended to cloud your judgement towards OUR favourite horns - and all in your best interest. I hope you find the trumpet (love) of your life.

Regards