Choosing a trumpet for a come-back trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gustavomoretto, Apr 14, 2008.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Any top of the line domestically manufactured trumpet will be a very good choice. I recommend this because repair parts and service on a familiar horn are readily available from almost any highly recommended technician. If the maker is no longer in business is actually of little concern, as such as York, Martin, Olds, and several other makers built horns for the 'artist' trade that had to last in heavy service. My signature shows that I have 'some' preferences, but, any horn that plays well for 'ME' is welcome in my accumilation. If the horn that you try sounds good to you and a knowledgable friend and feels good as to response, tone, tonality, and is cosmetically up to your standards, and, is within your budget, buy it. The old saying about blowing the horn prior to writing the check still is a valid concept.

OLDLOU>>

2. gustavomoretto

gustavomoretto New Friend

Dec 17, 2007
    OK. I made a choice.

I went to DillonMusic in New Jersey (where I live) and spent between 3 to 4 hours trying trumpets.
    I had already been in other stores as well, but nothing like this!
    At one point I thought I was dreaming: I had seven trumpets on the carpeted floor, from Shilke through Bach from way above my budget to used trumpets for a fraction of what I was willing to spend.

There were more trumpets on the wall. I tried most of them.
    There was an inversely proportional relationship between the quality of the knowledge I was gaining and the quality of my chops... the more trumpets I tried the less I could play, so I took many rests...

I didn't buy the horn that sounded best (too expensive) but the horn I fell the best with. And time and again as I tried different horns it was confirmed to me that the Yamaha YTR8310Z Custom (Bob Shew) model responded incredibly well to my playing (yes, I know...)

The pitches seemed easy to find and I felt really comfortable with its tone and overall characteristics.

This trumpet is the MOST BEAUTIFUL object I own (together with my piano)
    Yes it's crazy, but hey, I was going to wait until I was 132 years old to buy it, but I decided to rush it a bit.:dontknow:

Yes. Back to being in LOVE!

Thank you so much for your kindness, only love for what you do can explain it.

Gustavo

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Wonderful news - there's nothing like a new family member - one selected with the help of your friends. Enjoy, and play beautiful music until you are old and grey. Yikes, I just looked in the mirror.

Congratulations Gustavo - well done all.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Gustavo,

Now that you have your horn, I can paraphrase what Dave has said - Getzen, Getzen, Getzen - yes, me too I'm afraid - but I didn't wish to impose my bias.

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    check out the Getzen 700 Eterna. I found a used one in mint condition for $400 for a student.

6. gustavomoretto

Dec 17, 2007
    Ha ha!
    You guys are something!
    I think I'm Getzing it...
    OK. I have a week to return my new baby.
    I'll spend the next six days trying Getzen trumpets and if I'm convinced I'll switch (that would save me some money)
    Who said it was easy??

Gustavo

7. gustavomoretto

Dec 17, 2007
    Hi!

Just in case: my last post was meant to be appreciative of your advise and preferences.

I will really look into the Getzen trumpets since you recommended them so warmly. If I found them to be right for me it would also be nice since they are more affordable than the Yamaha.

Thank you Ed and Tedh (and everybody who helped in this thread) for your input!
    I'll post my final decision...

Gustavo