Choosing Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by jdshankles, Nov 28, 2005.

1. jdshankles

jdshankles New Friend

Nov 28, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Hey Manny,

Currently, I am playing a Bach 1B and used to play on a 1.5B. I recently picked up the 1.5B again and noticed that the tonguing on it is easier. How do I know if the 1.5B is a better "tonguing" mouthpiece for me or if I just have not adjusted to tonguing on the 1B?

I, also, know that some people choose different mouthpieces for different pieces that they are playing on, while others stick with the same mouthpiece all the time. What are your thoughts on changing mouthpieces? Sometimes I don't notice that much of a difference between different size mouthpieces other than comfort. Thoughts?

Thanks for all that you do...

--jdshankles

2. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    I think there is going to be a fair amount of discussion on this... just a prediction.

I can offer my personal opinion. I play mostly jazz and big band, occasionally I do church gigs... I play a lot of commercial stuff (top 40, rock, whatever). I switched mouthpieces like you wouldn't believe in college. I had like 4 different mouthpieces that I used on a weekly basis, if not daily. My teacher at the time was Allen Vizzutti, and he made me see how absurd that was. He uses one mouthpiece. Every recording you have ever heard him make, he has used the same shape, cup, etc. The only difference has been who makes it. It is a pretty shallow mouthpiece, and this segueways to my point and the relevance of my dilemna to your situation. I discovered that what you need to do is to play on the shallowest mouthpiece you can use without sacrificing too much sound quality. The hard part is making the mouthpiece give a full range of overtones and a full sound.

Just my opinion, but there are a lot of pros who use smaller equipment. Go with what you are comfortable with!

V/R
    Joshua

3. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Lots of reasons could cause this, but whenever it's a tonguing issue, I usally look to the rim first. The 1B rim is very round and you may not be getting enough grip at the bite. Something to think about until Manny gets here anyway...

- Josh

4. Weedyweidenthal

Weedyweidenthal Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    a lot of times for me when i play my 1B i'm way too dark to play jazz or play in marching band. i switch between 2 mouthpieces now and i'm probably going to be getting a 3rd. I use the 1b for concert, 1.5c for all the rest. I can play about 3 notes higher on the 1.5c but my tone is a lot brighter... still not as bright as i like for lead and i can't force myself to get any brighter. All the stuff that you mentioned really does depend on the player and the music. i would reccomend trying out mps with the same rim size but a more average cup depth and see what you think... the 1B's really are deep.

5. joshuasullins

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    why is everyone using such huge mouthpieces? If you need to have a "darker" sound, I don't like using the terms bright and/or dark. What you mean when you say "dark" is typically a sound without certain overtones. I think that most orchestral players actually play with a good amount of overtones in their sound. That is something that I believe most professionals have in common regardless of style or genre. If you have to use a huge mouthpiece to get a "dark" sound, that is cheating just as much as having to use a shallow mouthpiece to get a bright sound or to achieve more range.

V/R
    Joshua

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    There's too much subjective labeling in your post for me to really understand what you need as far as a cogent opinion is concerned. "Easier", "better 'tonguing'"... I don't know what you're really asking. If it sounds good and it's easier, then the answer seems obvious, so, you must be asking something else. Sorry.

I don't like to change mouthpieces a whole lot, to tell you the truth unless I'm going to a D, Eb, or piccolo. It's just a lot of bother, otherwise, and I'd rather keep my sanity, what's left of it.

ML

7. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    Hey Manny,
    ever play on a Marcinkiewicz Concert Hall edition or know of anyone who has? if so, whats your opinion on them?

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I don't know a thing about them. Although that doesn't stop most people from rendering an opinion, I'll refrain from doing so.

ML

9. Weedyweidenthal

Weedyweidenthal Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    i kind of agree with some of the stuff you said... i believe that you should be able to play any type of music on one mouthpiece and leave it at that. I also don't like to use the terms dark and bright and i only do so because it seems more widely understood. However... with me i have big lips, therefore, it is hard for me to play narrower mouthpieces. If you've played on big mouthpieces (actually played them for your only mouthpiece, not just tried them) you would understand why you need to switch between mouthpieces. It's not cheating if the mouthpiece fits you... no one cares that maynard plays a jet tone or a monette and switches in the middle of a concert. if it works for you, you do it. You can get a bright sound on these "huge mouthpieces" but there is no point in beating yourself up as much as you have to to achieve this. I could play a 7 hour show on my 1B playing lead screaming double c's and go home with my tongue hanging on the floor and do it again the next night and not miss more than 5 notes. and i COULD do that every night... but what would be the point in beating myself up that much. there's an extent to where it does become cheating but there's also the point of stupidity... :D

10. joshuasullins

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    Where do you live? I want to hear you play. If you can play double C's all night, you are awesome. Especially if you do it on a 1B. Very very few people can do that.

I am not being sarcastic and I am not patronizing you. I really want to hear you play! hehe

V/R
    Joshua