Choosing The Right Valve Oil

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Dec 31, 2012.

1. gatorman

gatorman Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2012
    Durango Colorado
    Been wanting to ask if there is a really good cleaner to run thru the horns( solution, soap, degreaser etc) when you change oils-- any suggestions for that process???

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I use lighter fluid. Dawn dish soap is also good and recommended by my local horn guy. ;-)

Tom

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Am I catching your concept right? if so, I can't see how flushing your instrument with a degreaser will remove the old oil from your valves. You must remove your valves and degrease both the valves and the casings, whereas some oils do not mix and make valve action much worse. Just make sure you keep all fluids off the valve felts, and if your instrument has them, valve corks as well. True, such is a good time to give the rest of your instrument a complete bath, removing slides and them relubricating them as you reassemble. Dawn is what I use to give my instruments a bath.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  4. gatorman

gatorman Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2012
    Durango Colorado
    Yes _ I soak my valves (piston only ) seperately and wanted to know if anyone uses an outstanding degreaser , soap, etc to clean internally the rest of the horn especially around the ports in the piston cylinders, to rid the old oil film and gunk.Thanks for your input.

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I pull out the slides, valves, caps and clean my horns in the laundry sink with warm water and some dish-washing detergent. The valve sleeves get run through with a brush (as do the other bits with an appropriate brush). The horn isn't soaking there for very long so I figure that any nasties in the detergent won't have time to do any damage before everything is rinsed. The detergent cleans out the old oil pretty well.

6. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    All of my horns are vintage, but even the ones with re-plated valves get Yamaha Synthetic Vintage, with which I am very happy. Your results may vary :-)

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I didnt know they had a vintage type. Slightly thicker I would imagine? Best wishes.

8. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Yes. I believe that is correct. Before I sold it my 1939 King Master Cornet had very loose valves that would accumulate condensation in the valve casings while playing. The condensation mixed with the regular valve oil, which created a viscous mess. No such problem with the Yamaha Vintage Synthetic. However, when switching to synthetic it takes a couple of repetitions of cleaning and application before it really starts to work properly.

Oh, and I concur with the posts about Dawn dish detergent as a de-greaser. It does not take much, but it works well.

9. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Bought 2 bottles of Al Cass and it works great on my Getzen valves!

10. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    La Tromba oil !!!