Chop Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by howardo, Jan 13, 2009.

1. howardo

howardo New Friend

Oct 23, 2008
    Westford, MA
    With little time to practice is it best to practice drills, (Arbans, Schlossberg, etc, ) or to practice songs and scales to improvise. The goal here is to play in front of an audience for an hour. The amount of time available to practice is one half hour per day.

2. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    My two cents worth: just practice the songs you have to play for the audience. At some point you will have to find the time to rehearse the hour long performance a few times before the gig.

3. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Howardo,

Hey Bud, I have found that to increase endurance you need to practice endurance execises....stuff like Leon Marien "Trumpet Isometrics" You want endurance, play that book front to back daily, and you'll have endurance. But to get endurance you have to include it in your daily "stuff". There's nothing easy about it.

Good Luck with it !

Hoghorn

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    When you're able to play all your songs twice through four or five days in a row you'll be ready for the concert. Unless you like to crash and burn. 1/2 hour a day isn't going to cut it. If you want the glory the trumpet will make you earn it. It's the nature of the beast.

5. longhorn747

longhorn747 Pianissimo User

Dec 22, 2007
    When playing infront of an audience and your having endurance problems, well I will tell you what my band director would say(hes a trumpet player) MORE AIR!!!! LESS PRESSURE!!!. Try to get the feeling of pushing the trumpet away from you lips to use less pressure. Also make sure to practice, try to practice as much as possible a day. I suggest practicing endurance excercises and all of the songs that you will be playing(practice repeatedly).

Just my opinion,
    LH747

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The only way to develop endurance is through increasing your practice time each day until you can play a little past your goal, if you were going to run in a 10K race you wouldn`t train by only running 1K a day ,sorry but there are no short cuts.

7. courtois.evoII

courtois.evoII New Friend

May 8, 2008
    Temanggung
    i think,
    you do long note (arturo sandoval,james stamp etc),
    or lip flexibility(walter m. smith) 1/2 hour a day.

and do buzz everytime

8. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    If I practiced all my free time, I'd have dead chops all day every day. I can't be playing 7 hours straight per day, I'd die. I've heard half hour sessions are good, but does anyone have any input on this? Required break time? Is there a point when doing MORE long tones and slurs isn't going to help me? I've set a goal to do a half hour of each per day, but is that pushing it?

9. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    "The amount of time available to practice is one half hour per day." Really? I used to think the same thing until I decided I could find more time if I looked. Lunchtime gave me an easy 30 minutes, I often wonder what it sounds like outside of my Expedition in the parking lot at work. Got 20 minutes each way to work for buzzing on the mouth piece and, while not every night, I found that the TV couldn't improve my range, but an hour upstairs could. Even if I only got through the circle of fifths at night, it still added to face time on the horn. Point is, there is time out there, if you're creative enough :play:
    bests.........chuck

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How were/are your grades in math?

Increasing endurance is NOT isometrics. It is learning to play smart. It is learning to play with the music instead of against it. It is learning the characteristics of your instrument. It is learning about your own power curve. Just like Arnold Schwarzenegger, in spite of his strength would not have been able without extensive training to win at any team sport, YOU will not win at trumpet until you have paid your dues.

The smart practice routine is the balanced routine. Count on a daily practice time of at least DOUBLE the performance time - to get by (unless you are content with mediocre). 30 minutes practice daily may buy you 15 minutes on stage of medium poor playing. To get good, you simply have to invest more time!

All of the pure trumpet jocks that I know fall apart on stage when exposed. Brains is the solution not testosterone.