Chop Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by howardo, Jan 13, 2009.

1. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Its really interesting to read everybody's opinions on howardo's post. My first thought in response to Rowuk's post is that I can practice for an hour a day (about all the time I can spare) and still play a 4 hour gig on lead in a big band. So I question the need to practice double the performance time. However, maybe the demands of an hour long solo performance are different to lead in a big band where you get to rest intermittently during pieces. I imagine it also depends on how efficient your technique is.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    TT,
    there must have been a time when you practiced a great deal more. Otherwise you would not know how to pace yourself to get through those gigs. On the gigs where I have played lead, an hour a day would not have gotten me through a couple of hours UNLESS we were on microphones and I could play with considerably less energy.

but then again, maybe I just don't have the talent and therefore need to work harder............................

3. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Practice time is also an issue for me. Fortunately I've found more time to practice recently, so most days I can get in an hour; sometimes more, sometimes less. Since I'm only playing in church at the moment I find my endurance is fine as long as I don't play a bunch during the day of the gig. As my skill increases I find it more fun to practice, even the boring stuff like long tones. So that helps. Maybe some day I'll find the energy to wake up 20min early and practice a little before work. But not today. :D

4. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    I did practice more in my youth, maybe up to 2 hours a day. Maybe its because community big band I play in is not loud by usual big band standards, nor is the trumpet section a loud section. This means that I don't have to scream, I just sit on top at what I feel is about a mezzo forte level and I come through fine. Any louder and I would be out of balance with the band. Chops have usually had it by midnight though.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    rest at least as long as you play is a good rule of thumb. several 30 minute seesions is a good routine. Even 15 minutes repeated several times is good. long tones and slurs are good but you are ignoring the rest of your technique. What about scales, arpeggios, etudes, melodic work (solos, etc.). you need to try to cover it all. If you can't cover it all in one day spread it out over several days. as far as time on each, a good solid 15 minutes on each will do you a lot of good. more is always better but at some point you need to move on to other material. Of course the key is to try to play every day.

The quality of your practice is very important. When you play the same routine a lot it's easy for you to start playing absentmindedly. then the quality of your playing takes a dive.

6. occidental

occidental New Friend

Jan 16, 2009
    I've been playing trumpet for 13 years and my endurance sucks. Those 2 sentences just made me feel totally different about my endurance exercises and what I gotta do to attain more stamina. We all have to earn it and it's not easy. That alone makes me want to keep going no matter what. Thanks. :play:

7. billytrumpet

billytrumpet New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Something that improved my endurance in a big way was joining a brass band. Two hours or more of full on playing about twice a week can do wonders for all aspects of your playing, especially endurance.

I'm off to go and earn some glory from my trumpet :)
    Will.

8. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
  9. NickD

NickD Forte User

I agree that there are no short cuts, but there are solutions to the practice time problem.

The issue of being too busy to practice has come up before. I work a day gig and I play between 100 and 150 gigs per year. Yet I still find time to practice, on average, 3 hours per day. Here are two threads on the subject.

Practice for the working trumpeter
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/practice-working-trumpeter-39274.html

My Personal Daily Routine
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/my-personal-daily-routine-40455.html

Check 'em out!

Peace.

Nick