Chop Muscles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigSwingFace, Apr 3, 2014.

1. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    After doing some chop building exercises for the past month, I've noticed amazing improvement in all aspects of my playing. I play with probably about 2/3 lower lip in the mouthpiece. It seems to me that my bottom chops are much stronger and developed than my top chops. Is this normal for everyone? Just people that play with more lower lip? Not normal at all. I'm trying to develop my top chops more, but it's hard since they don't need to work as hard as the bottom with my embouchure. If it's not normal, does anyone have tips on isolating and strengthening the upper chops/corners?

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi BSF,
    You asked:
    1.It seems to me that my bottom chops are much stronger and developed than my top chops. Is this normal for everyone? Just people that play with more lower lip? Not normal at all.
    ----
    Isolating one factor (such as the bottom lip,ect..) will not get you what you want. Trumpet playing is the combination of many things (including the right mental attitude) As for the bottom lip being what's normal, some would say yes, while those who do not (say for example play with 50/50) would probably say no. As for me, I'm 1/3,2/3, and, if you want to build your "chops". Follow the instructions on lip slurs found in the document The Basics Sheet. Do each valve for one minute and I promise, you'll have all the chop strength you'll need by the time the middle of May gets here.
    A word of caution:
    Don't be fooled. These are butt buster exercises and not for the weak of spirit. If you're the kind of person that never sticks to anything then don't even attempt this. However, if you do, the first week, you'll be quite angry and possibly sore that the exercises are so hard. But if you stick with it and do them everyday(work up to one minute per valve) you'll thank me and it will be one of the most profound developments in your trumpet development. But like I said, it's not for sissies.
    ---
    2.I'm trying to develop my top chops more, but it's hard since they don't need to work as hard as the bottom with my embouchure. If it's not normal, does anyone have tips on isolating and strengthening the upper chops/corners?
    ---
    Believe it or not, playing the trumpet and doing the lip slur exercises will do just fine. If you're driving around, take a mouthpiece with you and buzz it to songs on the radio.
    There's a few documents on this site that will help you alot. There are:
    *Circle of Breath
    *VB Ray of Power
    *The Basics Sheet
    ---
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Play a long tone g major scale from g in the staff down and back again with a super exaggerated vibrato.

4. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    Can anyone here show me the link to these documents? The forum search in this website doesn't work quite well...

5. ShaneChalke

ShaneChalke Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2008
    Banner Elk, NC
    Where do I find "The Basics Sheet" that you speak of?

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Circle of Breath:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f13...g-mouthpiece-pressure-54433-2.html#post497039

Vulgano Ray of Power:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/power-54165-2.html#post494360

The Basics Sheet:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f136/basics-sheet-69326.html

The CoB and RoP may have been posted a number of times but I haven't found them all, nor compared them for differences in presentation.

While I'm at it, here's a link to VB's "magic bubbles" post (or one of them):
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/open-valve-slurs-38177-2.html#post339443

--bumblebee

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  7. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    Thank you!