Chop saver

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    To help our sponsors, I bought a tube of Chop Saver. I tried it out when I got home and found that I couldn't get my lips to vibrate like before.
    I realize that I am only now BEGINNING to get my chops back so I ask the question,
    When should this product be used? Just before a performance or practice or only after a work session?

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I just use chapstick, and I find that when I put it on before, I can't play as well. I just need a better seal on the mouthpiece, and chapstick is not conducive to a good seal.
    I'd say after you practice, and just whenever you'd use normal chapstick.
    I use minty chapstick, and it feels good after I play.

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    After, and not ritually, only when needed. You probably won't need it much in the Summer.

It is one with oils you need, they penetrate. The waxy types won't help at all but will protect from sun and wind.

Health food stores have one with hemp oil in it which works well, too.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I use Chopsaver too and it also makes my chops feel weird if I try to play with it on, so I only use it after playing or when I don't have to play for awhile. The best thing about it for me, is using it before I go to bed to keep my lips from chapping during the night. It's by far the best thing I've found for that.

5. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    I've bought 2 tubes of ChopSaver . I tried to use it before I play , and I realized that it doesn't help me... that waxy film is not a great feeling in the mouthpiece, so I use it after playing , and when I go outside . I also have one tube of a minty chapstick La Tromba Lip Tonic, and I can tell you this is better for the lips muscles. I use it mostly over the night, it is a great feeling after aplying it, and I can feel my lips stronger and relaxed the next day. I recommand it special for beginers , cause we are hardly push the lips in the mouthpiece , and this La Tromba is a real remmedy for tired lips.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I don't think that chopsaver was made to play with. His main purpose is to help recovery. So I guess that the advice "after, when needed" is the most suitable. I use it after a hard gig or long practice sessions.

7. Zman

Zman Pianissimo User

Dec 24, 2008
    Vancouver, Canada
    I tend to use it at night after playing. (as someone has mentioned)

After a hard gig a bit of chopsaver on the lips before you go to bed and a glass of water should rehydrate and repair some of the damage you may have done.

If you use during playing (not recommended) but the chopsaver gold is a little thinner than the regular and applies a bit more like a traditional lip blam than the original.

I use this one if I intend to be out in the sun as it keeps the lips moist and has the built in SPF protection.

8. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I, as others have stated, use it after playing, at night, and before going outside. It is the only lip product that I use.

Roy Griffin