Chop sticks - anybody use them ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mr. Stomvi, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
  2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Yeah... they're great with General Tso chicken!

*Sorry... couldn't resist that one. I've heard of them, but never actually used them.

3. trumpetpat

trumpetpat Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    just use a pencil, i do...plus you can shorten it and make it lighter according to what you want. and you save like 10 bucks or however much it is.

it does the same thing so i think thats your best bet

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    It's ok, I was thinking the same thing...

5. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    chopsticks

Its the only song I can play well on piano.

Pencil, pen, real chopsticks... any small cylinder will do. Just make sure its clean. You don't know where that eraser has been! :-o

6. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    In other words - nobody here has used them. :dontknow:

Wundaful

Seth Moore

7. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    I got them

I purchased them a month ago and it's a good excercise to strenghten your muscles around your mouth. It helps pinching your cheeks together not letting the air go anywhere but through the mouthpiece.

It helps your high register playing, but for me the most important thing is endurance. Playing lead on some very demanding arrangements for 4 hours on some gigs, my worry is to last all the way. :-o

But to the point. Been using them for a month and starting to feel some progress. But previous posts are right. You can use anything with the right shape and weight, like a pencil. But with this kit you can vary the weight to your needs. That has been usefull to me.
    :cool:

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Some people swear by it, some people swear at it.

That is a pretty broad question. If the sole purpose of using them is for corner strength, maybe., but with some big trade offs( see below). If you plan on getting other benefits from them I am doubtful.

For me using the pencil exercise promotes tension in the lip which means more pressure is needed to play. I see that as a bad thing.

9. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I have a very nice set of solid rosewood chopsticks. They go with me to Chinese/Japanese resteaurants.
    I've tried the pencil exercise. Ultimately, I think I get more accomplished if I just practice the trumpet.

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I wrote a review of them several years ago.

http://www.ibowtie.com/articlesmonth/chopsticks.html

I rarely disagree with DizforPrez -- but in this case I have used the chopsticks and mouthpiece buzzing a lot when I don't have the time to play as much as I would like. I feel I have become stronger just with the Chopsticks. I play with very little, or no pressure.

But YMMV.

Jim