Chop Swelling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eoliver, Nov 15, 2004.

1. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi Everybody,
    I'm a student and professional player in Albuquerque, and recently found myself playing a really strenuous weekend. For the past four days I haven't been able to take just 12 hours off. The result: Swollen chops. I can't take a month off because of my obligations to school ensembles. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to get the swelling down. Fast. Thanks for any advice you all can give.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I would say to take some aspirin or ibuprofin, and take as much time off as you can. Even if you have to play, play as little as you can! Seriously. We know what is causing the inflamation and the swelling and the best way to deal with that is to stop doing what is causing it. I know, I know, easier said than done.

An old drum corps remedy (or so I've heard) is to put Preparation H on your chops. Never tried it personally.

Something else that you might consider before you continue to abuse your lips is that by not allowing them the opportunity to heal, you may cause some long lasting damage. It's interesting how your body will talk to you if you stop and really listen to what it is telling you. Right now your chops are yelling "STOP!!!!" as loud as they can.

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, do the asprin. You could also sit around and drink really iced water for a while before or after you take the asprin. Ice water has always helped me. Also, if the inside of your chops feel real cut up, like roast beef, put either rubbing alchohol or peroxide on it. Peroxide has been used as a gargle, so I wouldn't be as wary of it as I would rubbing alchohol, although I think the alchohol works a bit better.

Never heard of that Preparation H rumor/myth. I will have to try that sometime (although I wonder how I would look in a checkout line holding a container of Preparation H). :D

Van

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I have now got swollen chops, the day before 2 auditions - great!

Best advice: don't over do it before important things like this.

My teacher has advised me to take arnica tablets - I'll let you know if they worked for me in a few days I guess.

5. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I used to work with a tubist who took antihistimine tablets when he felt puffiness in the chops. He was an Arnold Jacob's student, but I don't know if that was the source of his idea, It seemed to work for him.

Roy

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
  7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I'm sure if it was the arnica, but I felt much better today - maybe worth giving that a shot.

8. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hey Everybody, thanks for the advice. What I found is that you can buy vitamin E in an oil form, and after rubbing that on my lips all day, the selling went down quite a bit. It may or may not work for everyone, but it sure helped me. Thanks again,
    Eric Oliver