Chops and Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzdude9792, Nov 23, 2007.

1. jazzdude9792

jazzdude9792 New Friend

Nov 23, 2007
    I've been told by some people that playing on a different type of trumpet can ruin your ambushor (I'm sorry if I misspelt that). I would like to buy a piccolo trumpet or a pocket trumpet (not for serious playing, that's what my strad is for) but I'm worried that my ambushor will be ruined. Can someone clear this up for me?

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    HOGWASH. Get an A/Bb piccolo trumpet and enjoy yourself. Get a pocket trumpet and play some polka music. Have some fun. Use the same mouthpiece and you shouldn't have any trouble. Don't forget to buy a Monett Frumpet.

You are about to get all kinds of advice on what brands to buy.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    jazzdude9792,
    what worries me about your post is not your embouchure, but the attitude that you will have an instrument for "non-serious" playing. Your playing becomes fun when you are successful, so why waste time non-seriously.
    Buy the picc or pocket trumpet (two VERY different animals) and get serious! Your strad playing will thank you for it!
    One other thing you need to be clear about is who you take advice from. I am not sure that an internet forum is generally a safe haven, but you got some really idiotic advice about what can ruin your playing. Sounds like advice from the clarinet player in the band that sits directly in front of you.............

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    lol... Rowuk, you aren't bashing clarinet players are you?? :D

Jazzdude,
    Rowuk is absolutely right... internet forums have there place and you can receive some great information, but you need to learn to take the advice given here with a grain of salt, however, I know NO one on here would have told the kind of BS you received about other trumpets hurting your embouchure!! What will hurt your embouchure is incorrect playing and too much pressure. Get yourself a good private instructor and learn to play those other trumpets as well as your Strad!! And if by some off the wall chance that it was your trumpet instructor that told you other trumpets will hurt your embouchure... fire him!!!

5. hammer56

hammer56 New Friend

Nov 7, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I agree with the previous posters. Fun, cool instruments entice you to play more. Cheap pocket trumpets are junk, but they won't hurt your embourchure. Jupiter and Van Cleave make really good pockets that I have played. I have trouble playing a picc. but I haven't used a real picc. mpc. with my preferred rim (15A4). I often play my Dizzy-style Silver Flair because it's cool. Potential students are impressed.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Playing a piccolo probably won't ruin you, but they can be real nasty beasts and hard to play correctly, so having a teacher who knows how to play piccolo trumpet is very important, if you want to get your money's worth.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope,
    I sat in front of a couple of MY students a while back and gat a full dose of "dense" trumpet section sound. One was slightly out of tune and I had trouble hearing myself and had to switch to autopilot. We got the intonation solved during the break, but the effect is the same: a thick, fat trumpet section applied directly to the eardrum can cover up your own scrawny sound especially if it is in the same register.
    I think if they sued, the clarinet section would have a chance of winning.
    There is a reason that many professional orchestras are using plexiglass shields to protect the hearing of the players in front of the brass section.................. (probably because it is futile trying to get them to play more softly!)

8. jazzdude9792

jazzdude9792 New Friend

Nov 23, 2007
    I'm sorry if I was misleading about serious playing. I'm an EXTREMELY serious trumpet player. The "not serious playing" comment was directed towards the pocket trumpet, not the piccolo, because I had read on reviews on websites like amazon that they are jokes for pros. I was considering buying one for kicks and to use occasionally. The piccolo I was going to buy for serious playing mainly because 1st trumpet part in the music for a pit orchestra I'm in right now calls for a piccolo trumpet and because of that I end up playing the part up an octave (which really isn't a problem since I can hit a 3rd octave E and 4th octave C on good days).

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    JD,
    I have a "cheap" $250 chinese pocket trumpet. It was picked out for me by a player that I trust as I did not have the time to get to the music store to try it myself.
    It is not close in playing characteristics to my other horns, but it is in tune and is a great asset when I am travelling. That with my silent brass mute and I can keep my chops fully functional on the road. This is a very serious part of staying prepared.

If you want a pocket horn, take the time to find a decent one and then use it to its fullest. Every note that you play should be better than the preceding one! Go for it!

10. jazzdude9792

jazzdude9792 New Friend

Nov 23, 2007
    alright, thanks for the tip