Chops gone, brain gone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Oct 23, 2009.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    It is over I have reached the bottom, chops are gone and I cannot concentrate on music, and I am nervous almost on a verge of a nervous breakdown

Now I know it happens from time to time, but how long will it last?

what do I do?

Take a hike in the nature? Swimm in pool, ride a bike? What? My head will explode

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Relaxing is always good! Like rowuk always says, when stuff like that happen. just use more pressure! JK DON'T!!!!

Just get your mind off trumpet for now! Do something that makes you happy...

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It is real hard to predict how long a burn-out will last. The fun just plain goes away (perhaps to that same dimension where socks in the wash disapear to). Kick the horn under the bed, tell it to stay, and do some fun stuff for a while. Hikes/walks are a good opportunity to meditate on why you love(d) playing. Having done so, turn it into some self-affirming self-talk. Stuff like "I enjoy playing and others enjoy playing with and listening to me." Listen to your favorite pieces. Spend some time each day at TM.

After a while, the itch will come back.

Have fun!

4. dpa10

dpa10 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    Are you a nervous wreck because you can't play?
    Or are you so upset that you have lost interest?
    If the latter is true, don't be afraid to seek professional help.
    Anxiety and depression can be very debilitating.
    Good luck.

5. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Trumpet playing ain't everything, but music is! Play piano for a bit, listen to the iPod, shop for a cheap vintage horn but definately take a day off. IMO
    ed

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    FrankMike says:
    "It is over I have reached the bottom"
    ------------------
    If you were to ask a scholarly Christian, "What is the definition of Hell"? They would probably say " A kingdom where no Hope resides and who's capital is Pandamonium".

Well.......you ain't in Hell yet so go blow off the steam (whatever it is), come back with a fresh attitude and get to work! You're just not a musician, you're a trumpet player damned it!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    When something I usually love becomes unbearable for whatever reason, I just get away from it. No trumpet playing, no listening, no thinking about hte trumpet. For me, a day or two is all that I need to remember why I like playing in the first place and I can come back with refreshed.

8. alderdaveson

alderdaveson New Friend

Oct 19, 2009
    Massena, NY
    To become obssessed with anything is NOT healthy. In our world, you have to find some
    solitude and quiet. You have to make yourself slow down and smell the roses. Allcliches,but absolutely necessary to find some place in your mind that you can stand and that can stand you. I quit playing for a year in the 80s when I went through bar fights at gigs, lots of negative stuff, lousey rhythm sections, noise and ear issues. Depending on how old you are you will be able to put things in perspective and determine what is most important. Trumpet is only one very small part of a life unless it is your bread and butter, for your daily sustenance and you need it as your source of survival. Life and death are serious, trumpet playing is way out on the fringe. Ask anybody who has had serious health issues, they will be honest and tell you what is truly important. If you have a serious depression issue that is something that will need treatment. Don't sell yourself short and wait to find out. Talk to a 20 or 30 year lifer band director. Especially one who is a trumpet player. Buddha said "all life is suffering". Who am I to second guess him?

9. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Put away your horn for a week and don't even think about it. Then go back;it always has worked for me.:D

10. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    You could always try what I did when I reached bottom; put the horn down for forty years then pick it up again and suffer deep regret -- every day for the rest of your life -- for ever having put it down.

You can't make up for lost time.