Chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Spleeyah!, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    Manny,

To be a principle player, ya goTTa have chops. I'm workin on extending my 'confortable' upper register. The double F's and stuff that I hear on Stan Kenton recordings and the stuff i hear on old chicago recordings with Bud are not the same. There's a disticnt difference in how lead players and principle orchestral players sound on those notes up there. How would you suggest that I approach building range and makin it comfortable (for me and the audience) to use in an orchestra? I can send a double E to the back of the hall but it would not be somethin i would want to use in an orchestral setting. Are there certain studies or books that you could recommend to help with this also? Thanks for you help!

Brad

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Brad,

It's interesting, there's a thread about "squealing" presently elsewhere and so your question and the question about this are somewhat tied together.

I say that because I don't think there's an honest symphony trumpeter around that wouldn't say they got interested in playing in the high register until they heard a great "high note " player like Maynard, Doc, etc. I have to throw Mendez in there because I first became aware of the upper register after I heard the end of his "Lakme".

Mendez's sound is not what I considered to be "symphonic" but I couldn't make that distinction when I was a young one. It just sounded cool and clean and in tune and powerful.

That's what I wanted to sound like: Clean and powerful.

There we go with the adjectives. In other words, it has to start in your ear. You have to know there's a difference, as you clearly do, and then you go about your normal practice. Arban's Top Tones, Charlier, good basic studies that accent proper fundamentals not "high note studies". The endurance and the high register go hand-in-hand. When you become stonger as a result of steady, intelligent, non-niche oriented practicing, you become able to steadily play in the upper register with a strong sound. No tricks, no special books... just good basic playing reinforcing a talented ear is what creates that sound you desire.

ML