Chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Jul 7, 2011.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Face time on a 15 minute tune is not that much. Trumpet players don't usually solo for an extended period. If they do they don't do it on the next tune. Unless they are playing in a 1 horn salsa band (not recommended)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The more I am in medicine the more I have come to realize that pain is our friend. This is so true Patrick. Great Post!

3. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I practice for 1/2 hour, take a 10 minute break, then rinse and repeat several times...But once a week, when I'm not at a band practice two or three days in the week, I do like to slam my chops with 1 hour, 15 minute break, 1 hour, 15 minute break, then 1/2 hour all on Lead chops high-note stuff, or until I start to give out- I call it my power-lifting practice.

Its weird, these days- as I begin to really get better than I was when I stopped really playing years ago-I warm-up, do etudes, then do the symphonic book for my one band, then do Jazz excercises and patterns, then the jazz charts from the other band I play in, then range stuff, and its like 2-3 hours just flew bye! I need more time!!!!!!! :shock:

BTW: taking a day off today, though

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011