ChopSaver lip balm... any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by paperarmytank, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Quirito Machina

Quirito Machina New Friend

Sep 24, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Hi,
    I'm just curious when you folks say it helps the chops out, do you mean it eases the soreness of the muscle structure around the sides of your lips? Or do you mean that it helps chapped lips recover?

2. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    I began using Chopsaver regularly sometime around June of last year. By August I was experiencing major problems with my chops with constant soreness, quick fatique, and stiffness. I thought it was due to something in my playing routine. After taking time off, with slow return to playing, I was still experiencing the problems. After more thinking the only thing that had changed was my use of Chopsaver. That day I quit using the Chopsaver and my lips have returned to normal. Apparently, there is some possibility of allergic reactions to it, although probably only affecting one in a million, but the chance is still there.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I bought the 3-pack online, but I have since returned to using my favorite lip ointment, Blistex in a tube. The problem (and this is just my personal opinion) is that any time you have a stick type of lip balm or ointment, it must out of necessity contain certain waxes or solids that enable it to keep it's shape in the tube, and I reallty dislike that. Blistex from the tube doesn't do that.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Chopsaver

For more years than most of you have been on this earth I have used pure lanolin on my slides and on my lips. It works a treat. The brand that I am currently favoring is Fougera Lanolin Hydrous. This is found in almost any pharmacy in the U.S.A.. It is dirt cheap, and only takes a very small amount to make your slides slick to move and softens the skin and promotes healing of chapped and stressed lips. I have never heard of anyone being alergic to lanolin. :-)

5. Dan Gosling

Dan Gosling New Friend

Dec 7, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Hi Everyone

Dan the ChopSaver guy here. I appreciate the discussion and all the great comments! To all who have written in support of the product, I say "Thank You!" And the not-so-great comments are important too, as we look for ways to improve the product down the road. When it comes to pleasing everyone, well, that's just not possible. But, if we use this thread as a survey, the overall approval rating is very high!

Anytime you have thousands and thousands of people using a product, you will always have the occasional person who has a reaction to something in it. Like I said, other than perhaps bottled water, rare is the product that is 100% allergy free. People have all kinds of sensitivities. And yes, there are people who are allergic to lanolin.

VINTAGEBRASS, I am very sorry to read of your plight. I created this product to help people and it pains me to know that for some, it doesn't. But, as you can see here, for most people, ChopSaver has been just what they were looking for. Natural moisterizers like shea butter, aloe and vitamin E combined with herbs that actually reduce swelling and promote healing blended with natural citrus oils for a pleasant smell. And no petroleum! It's a pretty simple idea really, but you won't find another product quite like it.

As I said, feedback is very important to us and for those who have taken the time to contribute to this thread, thanks again! And if you haven't used ChopSaver yet, I hope you'll give it a try soon!

All the best,

Dan Gosling - Creator of ChopSaver
    www.chopsaver.com

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dan, package the stuff in a squeeze tube without the waxiness, and I'm sold.

7. Dan Gosling

Dan Gosling New Friend

Dec 7, 2004
    Indianapolis
    You bring up an interesting question, Patrick. What will the next version of ChopSaver be like? Well, any repackaging or reformulating is an expensive proposition, so you have to choose those changes carefully.

Here are some of the ideas we have had, many of which have been suggested by customers:

add SPF (Sun Protection)
    make it fragrance free
    make it into a hand cream
    add color to it (like a lip stick)
    put it into small jars
    more flavors/fragrances (mint, other fruits, etc.)

As I said, any of these changes affect packaging, shipping, overall cost, etc. Many factors to consider. Some day, we'd love to accommodate all of these ideas just like "the big companies" can with multiple line extensions.

Of all the requests we get, the most common is the SPF, so that is what we are working on right now. But adding just that one little ingredient turns the product into a "drug" and the FDA gets involved. So, as I said, there is considerable time and expense involved in such a decision.

Again, thanks for the feedback. It really helps!

Dan

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dan, I was under the impression that several of the ingredients in Chopsaver were natural sun screens and blockers - is this something that you have to add?

I've never really had a problem with my lips getting sun burned, but I do know some people who do have that problem.

There are some good suggestions on your list, but I do see how daunting it could be to try to make changes to a product when you don't have the deep financial pockets like the big boys do.

Again, my only complaint with Chopsaver is that I don't like how waxy it is - it's less waxy than Chapstick, but still far more waxy than Blistex in a tube.

9. Dan Gosling

Dan Gosling New Friend

Dec 7, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Good question!

Let's put it this way. I know that ChopSaver has some sun blocking properties inherent in the formula. But you can not make that claim without using an FDA approved sun blocker. In other words, they will not take a natural product, test it for you, and assign an SPF number to it. You must make your formula, add one of the FDA sun blockers available, and then they test it and tell you what the number is. Let's say you add you add SPF 15 and the actual product tests out a little higher. Well, you can then use that number in your marketing.

The problem with sun blockers is some people find them irritating, so that is why we avoided them in the first go round.

All that being said, I have always had good reports from people in sunny climates. But I understand that many people need to see that number.

Dan

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I only use ChopSaver after I play, not before or during and it helps the recovering time. Just my input. Dave