Chosen Vale International Trumpet Seminar

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by ecarroll, Sep 29, 2005.

1. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    TMs,

Many of you remember the trumpet seminar that was held in Lake Placid. We enjoyed a large number of top-end participants and a renowned faculty over eight terrific summers in the Adirondacks. There has been a huge void since the last seminar ended in 2003, both for me personally and for the many participants interested in what was being done there.

Since then I've been hard at work putting the pieces in place to continue our work. This meant locating a new (and better) facility, forming a new board, forming a non-profit organization, creating a detailed business plan, and raising funds. Thankfully everything is now in place and The Center for Advanced Musical Studies has been launched. I'm very proud of it and believe, deep in my heart, that the seminar offered in the summer of 2006 will be incredible.

I hope to use this thread to answer any questions that you might have...

Best wishes,
    EC

The Center for Advanced Musical Studies is pleased to announce the inaugural Chosen Vale International Trumpet Seminar, which will be held from June 19th through July 1st, 2006 at the historic Enfield Shaker Museum in Enfield, New Hampshire (USA).

Faculty members Stephen Burns, Edward Carroll, Gabriele Cassone, Mark Gould, David Rosenboom (composer-in-residence), Thomas Stevens, and Markus Stockhausen will be joined by pianist Rebecca Wilt in presenting a wide array of individual lessons, masterclasses, workshops, and public performances which will focus on innovative ways to create a meaningful career in today's evolving musical landscape.

For complete information, including an on-line application, please visit http://www.chosenvalemusic.org

2. dambly

dambly Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2005
    Ed,

This is great news! I see you've assembled the dream team from 2003 again for the trumpet seminar next year -- well done! I really enjoyed working with all of them at Lake Placid. You'll be getting my application soon.

I noticed on the Chosen Vale site that it's possible to get credit for the seminar through Cal Arts -- can you say a bit about that? How would that credit be recognized by other music schools?

I know you've been working hard to get the Center for Advanced Musical Studies going again. Congrats on your inaugural season at Chosen Vale!

-Tom

3. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Hi Tom,

Nice to see you here!

I was lucky to get Tom Stevens to agree to come this summer. As you know, he's trying to wean himself from the trumpet and related activities other than writing. Also, having a composer on the course will make things very different -- helping those who haven't to structure their improvisations, creating site/moment specific pieces, etc.

Credit was offered before (perhaps you didn't know). It can't be transferred to other schools other than CalArts, but accreditation makes it possible for some professionals to get funding for continuing education. . . a good thing, don't you think?

It will be great having you "back" and please keep sending questions and comments here. This thread will be useful not only to introduce Chosen Vale, but to address frequently asked questions as well.

Best,
    EC

4. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    TMs,

I've fielded a few questions about Chosen Vale via PM and am happy to take them there, but expect that most will fall under the category of FAQs so this thread might be more useful. Either way is fine with me and thanks in advance.

There is no age limit. If you're a highschooler with chops and ambitious enough, you might do well on the course. Same thing if you're a retired teacher or player. Most that typically come, however, are undergrad/graduate students, along with a few pros. The general level of playing has been impressive in the past, and there's no reason to believe that this will change.

There is no audition process. Instead, I'd like to receive two recommendations from professional players/teachers who know you well. Notes from people that I know (or am likely to know of) makes this step much easier (!)

There is no application deadline. Enrollment will close after 35 deposits are received.

Best,
    EC

5. andredub

andredub Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2005
    Toronto
    !!

Lake Placid was amazing and I'm sure this will even be better. Nice to see all the big names still coming out to teach in the summer.

Though the one thing that will be missing is the Iron Man which made everyone feel physically pathetic for a couple of days.

6. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Andre,

The triathalon in LP made everyone feel physically pathetic, as you said. Fortunately their physical confidence was restored after taking a quick look at me...

Nice to see you on TM, amigo. Keep posting!
    EC

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ed,

Maybe you've already answered this but...

Are there any "audit" spots available? Especially for us crazy working trumpeters (I think I have a gig with Tony Bennett during that stretch that I can't turn down) that would LOVE to be a fly on the wall. Any chance of having "day passes" as well for auditors? I know you've probably already thought of this scenario but I'd love to hear about it.

Best,

Trent

8. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Trent,

Funny...two west coasters (Rob McGregor and Mario Guarneri) are planning the same. I'm sure that we can work something out and it will be fun to have you around, even briefly.

Best,
    EC

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great news! I'll make sure that I'm a fly on the wall often, unless these concerts get cancelled and I could make the entire session. That would be a blast, too! Gotta pay the mortgage though ;) :dontknow: :dontknow:

Best,

Trent

PS: PM me your address and I'll send you a master copy of the mixed disc when it's ready.

-T

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I am thinking of coming if you are not full already.

I don't fully understand what we will be doing. Will I be playing a lot or is it a lot of lectures?