Chris Botti instrument(s)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Feb 23, 2011.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Does anyone know if Chris Botti plays anything other than the trumpet i.e. flugel, piccolo etc in any of his performances?

2. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    We just saw him last Saturday evening with the St Louis Symphony.

He played trumpet only, mic'ed the entire time. His group consisted of a drummer, piano, bass (string and electric), violin (also mic'ed) and himself; backed up by a portion of the SLSO.

3. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    i've never seen him play anything else, so I was just wondering. what a cool career and only have to purchase one instrument! :)

4. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I talked to Chris at the Blue Note when he sat in with Maynard's band. We talked for about half an hour about various things. As I remember, he said he liked the way the Martin sounded, and he can get a darker sound without playing flugelhorn. As you have heard, his sound is where he wants it. I'm a fan. If I could only get my hair to look like his!

Pete

5. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    In that book of Chris Botti transcriptions that is out, the transcriber (wrongly) specifies that Botti is playing Flugelhorn on at least one tune. It is published by Mel Bay or Hal Leonard so I'm not surprised that they don't take accuracy very seriously.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Never seen anything but that LB Committee.

7. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I've tried getting my hair like that too, but my hair profession just laughs and says there isn't enough there!

That is cool that you got to sit and hang with Chris for a half hour! That is awesome. What kinda stuff did you talk about?

8. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I've never understood how you can get a darker sound (i'm getting ready to embarrass myself here) out of the trumpet. I kinda thought it is what it is? My thoughts were also that you could change things a little with different mouthpieces etc.

9. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I've never seen or heard him play anything but trumpet. Which is sort of a bummer. Just think of the sound that he could coax out of a flugelhorn!

Chris sometimes gets a bad rap for using a mic in concerts. I think a lot of people believe his tone is helped with "studio magic". I disagree though. He did an encore at one of the concerts I saw him in without a mic, and his sound was just as good! He's a great player and a really nice guy!

Kujo

10. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    No complaint about the mic - just an observation. Powell Symphony Hall is rather large, so it'd be tough to fill it up with sound .