Chris Botti instrument(s)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Feb 23, 2011.

1. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    I've seen him twice and both times he finished with a piece sans mic.....Sound was just as rich and full as with....

Outstanding performer, and a very....very tight group with him.

Brian

2. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I just saw Chris Botti perform last week, and it was AWESOME. I loved it ... He only played the trumpet, and it was his Martin Committee trumpet. He also comes out and will sign autographs and talk to people after the show, but the line was going out the door and little ones at home so no such luck for me. :-(

In regards to his trumpet playing, he (Chris Botti) in an interview said that he played just one thing Trumpet and kept his focus on that versus any other instruments. Seems to make sense and Chris also highly recommended never going a day without practicing because he hosed a solo once for Sting many years ago where he went a couple of days without practicing.

One thing about Chris Bottis performance that I picked up and you see on his album covers (Like the Live in Boston) is that when he plays he often arches his back and almost leans backwards with the knees slightly bent and wondered if this was a "SHOW" thing so that you could see the profile of him playing or if it was adding any other value to his playing. My assumption is that it is for show.

3. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    You can find a video of him on Youtube where he's being interviewed and he talks about how he is actually a vagabond. He owns his trumpet, some clothes, and thats about it. If he can get that nice dark sound without the fluge, whats the point in hauling it around all the time?

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Seems to me the mic is likely only used to help him sit in the mix with the rest of the amplified band.

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I wasn't pointing my comment at you! My old band director told me back when I went to Botti's concert that it wouldn't be worthwhile because he uses "studio magic"...and I've heard it from other people as well. But I think Chris has an amazing sound with or without a mic! Great guy too!

Kujo

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The magic of Vulgano Voodoo is more real than "Studio Magic," because there is no magic in the studio--only technology, and in concert the real "magic" is enhanced by, but not created by technology.

8. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    trumpetrax wrote:
    We talked about growing up in Italian families for a while. I asked him why he started playing the Martin. His reply had to do with the fact that he realized that he wasn't going to be a lead trumpet player, and using the Martin gave him the sound that he wanted. As I remember, he didn't pay too much for the horn. These prices have gone up considerably since Chris started playing one. You may as well call it the CB model now.He also talked about touring with the Dorsey band when he was young.

My impression of Chris after talking with him was the same before I met him. He's a regular guy, and a good guy. The two things in the music biz at any level that you need to be. Others that I have met that have the same two qualities are Bobby Shew, Marvin Stamm, and Wayne Bergeron. This is good company!

Pete

9. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    yer ive never seen Chris playing anything else but a trumpet.

He does play with a mic, but whats wrong with it ? When i heard him at his show, he played one song without a mic and he sounded the same.

In terms of his "leaning back" or "arch pose" if you will, i think thats for show. He does that a lot. It looks good in my opinion. It could also be a habit that he possesed over time...

Chris Botti is a great player, my favourite.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Your horns are rfeally beautiful and I especially like the shot of the 56 Olds Recording. very nice- more importantly I'm sure they sound a good as they look!