Chris Botti is awful

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by BustedChops, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    ...just ran into this thread again and am still trying to shut off the automatic notifications. I just HAD to look at the last couple of posts and take a sniff to see if it was still stinking.

Re the boat..Sure gmonady....c'mon aboard...tobylou too...I think I'll need to rent a trawler though....or maybe a small cruiser.

Best,
    Randy

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Chris Botti is not an awful player, and I agree with the general sentiment that if you don't like certain music, then just leave it alone. However, when the conversation diverged to "jazz" in general, I was surprised to see some people upset to hear certain songs or renditions of songs called "elevator music." It's not an insult to call something "elevator music." It's called elevator music because it is music that you would hear in an elevator... It's called "spacey" because it is spacey. Some people like that music; some people that are fans of early jazz prefer music that you can tap your foot to and hear the character of the player. A lot of early swing players crack notes and stumble on part of their solos, but that's not a big deal to us. I'm not trying to argue that something's absolutely better than another- that's a dead end argument. Just don't be surprised when people aren't impressed by Wynton's version of Cherokee. I find his version of St. Louis Blues and Happy Birthday more enjoyable, and I find the Harry James version of Cherokee more enjoyable too. I can see why people might be upset at the OP; I don't see why people would be upset at calling elevator music elevator music. Some people like Rex Stewart more than "80s Wynton," and some people like Louis Bellson more than Buddy Rich. So what...

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    AND you're from Wisconsin!!!

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Interesting how urgent people feel to register a comment or opinion no matter how redundant it may be.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Tom

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    pg 28 .....seriously?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Really!! :roll:

And some people don't like Slim Whitman or Boxcar Willie!! Go figure.

8. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    You know, it's not like getting that pretty tone Botti has is easy. The guy is an artist, and if you don't like his tunes, don't listen. But don't badmouth him, even if that's not what you really meant. Say instead that Botti teaches us a great lesson, which is that tone is the first thing people will hear, and does more than anything to get you on most gigs.

9. DCIGene

DCIGene New Friend

Jan 3, 2010
    Alabama
    The reality is he's done it. It really does not matter how or even why...he just has. No one was asked to reinvent the wheel every time they pick up the horn. Sometimes it's just about a nice piece well played whether it be by a beginning band or by someone in the spotlight on stage who sells our halls. You have said you are not picking on him, but his music. The tunes he plays are nicely written and well performed. They are "clean". Sure, you have ,to be in the mood for much of his stuff and he's no Maynard, but he never claimed to be. Chris is "one of us". He's a trumpeter and I'm glad he is in the spotlight doing what he feels he does well. It makes us all look good and pretty darn cool.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Chris Botti has pretty eyes. He's a pretty man. I like Chris Botti.