Chris Botti My Funny Valentine Live

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Jul 19, 2012.

1. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    actually not insecure at all and definitely not jealous.

i just wanted to hear some improvising over the changes.
    so the question is and has been........ are there any links of him playing live improvising over changes out there?

ron

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I think there are so many things a player can take home from listening to Botti, you might not like his music, or his choice of music or his arrangments, but what he does right, he does better than most, and what he does wrong, honestly doesn't matter. I don't take notes to find all the problems with other players, I take notes for the problems I have with my playing.

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I’m not a fan of Chris’s music either but I can tell you I’m a huge fan of the work he’s put in the horn and the resulting sound he produces. He’s “KILLER” clean and has an awesome dark bluesy sound. And his ideas towards soloing are unique, weather he improvises or not. He deserves to be where he’s at in his career. My hat is off to CB !

4. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    love, Love, LOVE what he said about American Idol, but did it in a nice way by saying,' I wouldn't be a good fit as far as philosophy goes.' Also, gracious as heck, he knows and acknowledges Sting is the one that broke him to a national and international audience and is so grateful. He gets it.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The guy played his trumpet "cold" after an interview. He covered the entire range of the horn from a low A up to a high F. He gave a unique interpretation of My Funny Valentine with some interesting rhythmic variations in the second part of the song.

Chris also took the time to explain the difference between the unrealistic "instant fame" of American Idol vs. dedicating yourself for life to an instrument.

The only weird thing was the female reporter, who was unashamedly infatuated with Chris. That's why I suggested "jealousy" was driving some of the comments here. (Hey, I think I'm a little jealous, too.) It's either that, or some people just can't recognize talent when they see it.

Mike

6. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    LIVE FROM LINCOLN CENTER
    My Funny Valentine
    Miles Davis in Concert
    2/12/1964
    "One Blessed night in New York"

7. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    When I played it, the video cut off after about the first verse. I'm dissappointed but he said some really cool stuff.

8. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Well, I appreciate the post because that is the first thing of his I have ever listened to. A very fine player. As said above, comfortable with the horn. Sure, I, too, would rather hear Miles do this one, but this version wasn't bad. The thing is, he is popular at least in part because he doesn't get too far away from the melody with his improv as doing so tends to lose and then bore all the non-jazz sophisticates out there. Anyone who makes big bucks playing trumpet has my respect from the get go. Dig the old Martin? And what looked to be a deep traditional cup mpc from the 20s/30s? Maybe a Curry trumpet/flugel piece? Anyhow, that and his chops produced a wonderful dark sound.

9. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    Botti plays an old Bach 3 (somebody fill in the year). A very deep cup. I love my newer 3.

10. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    that is a great video. I actually hadn't seen this one before.

tone is fantastic as usual.

Thanks