Chris Botti nailed this one!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Conn-solation, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    The Star Spangled Banner piece is from a game on Nov. 3/4, 2014

I just thought it was appropriate for the day

2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I've never been a Botti fan. I've listened to albums seen some video...meh.
    It's not that he's a BAD player....I just couldn't figure out why he didn't click for me.
    I watched the 3 part 'bone2pick' with him on Youtube...seems like a good guy, so
    I found a performance from the Newport jazz fest. with his band and started watching.

Very nice sound, good technique, band seems solid......then I realized what it was.....this
    guys bores the crap out of me!!! The songs were all (at least the ones I've heard) at pretty
    much the same tempo. He never plays very dynamically, always going for that laid back thing,
    he never double times, or moves out of the key. It's all very safe and BORING!!!!

bigtiny

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
  4. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    To me it was an expression of devotion to COUNTRY - even though I'm not a citizen (my mother was) I'm far more emotional about the USA than Canada.

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have just two of his recordings, both were gifts, and had similar observations about Chris' material Bigtiny. I do like his sound. His show however was very different to the recordings. Yes there was enough of the signature sound and style to satisfy his record-buying public, but...
    Dynamite band - he shared the stage generously with band, all of whom are way more than "solid". Drummers don't usually excite me much, but Lee Pearson was amazing. There was one Aussie in the band. Ben Butler on guitar is from Canberra (sorry Bumblebee) and is there via the Sting connection.
    There was a lot of energy about the performance. Chris worked the largish room well and from a seat near the stage it was like being at a party with the band.
    In summary, the show was very un-Botti compared to his recordings. The guy has serious chops and it felt good to see a trumpet player in a "rock-star" role. I hope he inspires new young players like Herb Alpert did way back when.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Well, the piece upon which I based my observations was certainly a live setting (Newport Jazz fest), though I wasn't actually there. As I said, the band was fine...hell, Botti was fine, just boring =:-) It's too bad...he's not doing anything wrong, he's actually doing a lot right, and that's the opinion of somebody that doesn't care for his presentation (me). There are apparently millions who find his presentation just fine....go figure.

bigtiny

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I made the mistake of watching his Boston Pops show on youtube ... which was basically the same show I saw him perform at the Greek minus all the all star performers. I have nothing but good things to say about his playing and his class on stage.
    but
    I did fall asleep

bumblebee likes this.
  8. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think you may have something in common with Mr Botti...

When he was performing, wandering through the hall with singer Sy Smith, he spoke with a family...

Parent "our daughter is learning cello"
    Chris "that's great, how old are you"
    Daughter "I'm eight"
    Chris "and you're still awake? That's amazing, I couldn't stay awake for a whole concert until I was 40!"

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Now we know where that sleepy sound comes from.........

10. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Let's face the facts. Talking about mr. Botti is not talking about an orchestral musician nor about the modern business trumpet player.
    Alone the fact that CB is capable of building a great career as a solo trumpetplayer in these times of boom boom and spewing sentences popular music scene deserves our greatest respect. I am completely convinced that for (non orchestral) musicians mastering their instrument is one, but finding the FORM you play in is much more important. I think mr. Botti succeeded in that greatly. Besides that I admire his courage of making the choice for living for the trumpet.
    His sound: of course we know that sound can be manipulated by electronic devices. But I heard CB live in a very small theatre in Holland ( De Boerderij in Zoetermeer) and I was able find a place to hear him without amplifying. Indeed is his sound more brassy than via the PA but I can assure you that it sounds still very OK. Then his technics. Often stated is that considering Chris Botti as a great trumpetplayer is a big mistake, mcgoverner from TH stated: "go looking for a teacher". I am not naive and I have an idea what a really skilled trumpetplayer must be. But then, like a little devil, creep in my mind the words of Louis Armstrong giving comment on critic of the same kind: "it's all about phrasing". And with these words in mind play (on vinyl of course) the last groove of Lonely fire by Miles Davis where he blows one of his great, undefined finishing screams and you will hear his famous cracking voice: Try That!

For the record, my name is Franklin Delano Kiewiet, I am from Holland and you can find me on TH under the name of delano.