Chris Botti National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMD, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Fluegel-Boy

Fluegel-Boy Pianissimo User

Feb 19, 2013
    I really liked his treatment of this. It was, of course, non traditional, but still performed with respect and definitely not overdone. Beautifully played!

2. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Mmm, mmmm, mmm. The beauty of his playing - tender and simple when needed (yet special), balls to the walls when needed. Start calling him 007 - "Nobody Does It Better".

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    A wistful, mournful, soulful rendition. Not your usual martial treatment. Would have been PERFECT for next Monday night (the eve of Veteran's Day, a day of tribute to former and active service men and women, for our non-U.S. members).

He played it up at the end because he could. He did so tastefully, and completely bypassed the chance to "pander" as one poster put it, by adding unnecessary gyrations to illustrate that it was "hard."

Understand that the question as to mouthpiece was tongue in cheek. Having been a long time resident (in today's understanding of length) I have seen many variations of "What mouthpiece will make me a better player?" The question, with following wink, was not meant to be taken seriously.

I hereby give out this excuse pass because the response came from a member without many posts. I am not criticizing, just pointing out because in real life I am a teacher. It's what I do. can't help myself.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You got it Ed! That's why your a teacher!! ;-)

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    btw....

Did he end on a 2nd (9th) ?

I thought at first that maybe he missed the right note and had the professionalism to hold what he hit instead of searching for the right one.

It worked, sort of..........

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounded like a high E to me. IDK, artistic license? Hard to believe CB overshot it, though it happens.

7. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Here I thought his name was pronounced "BOTT'-EE" (short O).

Regardless - a very odd setting for a national anthem, which I believe should be played stately and proudly. Not like you're wooing some female trumpeter or having a cigarette afterwards.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Listen again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCFPuwCz8CI ; the note fits the rendition perfectly. And yes, Veteran's Day or, even more so, Memorial Day would be ideal for this one.

9. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    "unashamed panderers??" Really? wow...

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Beautiful sound, great control and nice style. I appreciate his ability but as an old fogey I prefer to hear the "Banner" as written. I would never put down his tremendous talent.