Chris Botti National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMD, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    As stated above by another post-if you have a jazz musician play don't expect it to be as written w/o interpretation :)

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Just got my chance to hear it. Nicely done, actually. Amazing control, and that Martin sounds great:oops:

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I liked it a lot. Chris' rendition was appropriate and tasteful in my opinion. Along with the music, I especially appreciated his professionalism.

Jim

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Beautiful, musical performance but like I've posted elsewhere, somewhat disconnected from the words of the song. Not sure this performance is in the best context of the song as it originally stands.

5. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Beautiful rendition, I'm fast becoming a fan of Chris. Everything I have heave ever heard about him has always been positive. Reported to be a really nice guy also.
    The only other version I have heard that compares to this version is Bruce Hornsby and Branford Marsalis on soprano sax. I first heard it in the early 90's at the NBA All Star Game. I believe they also performed it at a World Series Game in the mid 90's. I believe it is also on the soundtrack from the Ken Burns baseball documentary. I have also found it on YouTube. Not trumpet related but definitely worth a listen. Two master musicians. I also like the version from last years Super Bowl. The arrangement was done by Rob Mathes. I know Rob a bit and he's also an incredible talent and a really good guy.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What are you saying here? It is my understanding that Frances Scott Key put the lyrics to a popular British beer drinking tune. So is the original best context in your ears, that of a tipsy musician with a bit too much grain in the belly, attempting to render notes in a drunken state?

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    kehaulani touches upon interesting points of musical philosophy. Many of us have written about the value of considering a songs lyrics as we phrase our playing. On the other hand, why should we trumpeters be limited by lyrics while soloing?

I really liked Botti's rendition. It stirred patriotic feelings within me, and the fact that his rendition did not square with the lyrics did not bother me one whit. But I understand attitudes of others more committed to a song's lyrics.

Jim

8. RonD

RonD Pianissimo User

Jun 22, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Well said. Isn't this the point?

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Absolutely!!

10. trumpflug

trumpflug New Friend

May 15, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think it was brilliantly done, with great feeling and control, especially considering the enormous pressure he would have been under.

The USA anthem is so much better then our awful Australian one IMO.