Chris Botti National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMD, Nov 3, 2014.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Another pressure no one mentioned yet was playing outside in the cold.

Mike

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I heard Doc Severinsen featured at a halftime show in Wake Forest in the late '60's. Colder than a toilet seat in an igloo, and he never missed a note. The great ones find a way.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Wow I feel bad now --- I posted on a friends FB page that Chris Botti was a good player but NOT an artist who typically had his own style --- as Chris was more into trumpet playing as a business ---- oh well, I'm sure he doesn't need an apology from me :( :( :(

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Sorry. A song is usually words put to music, not the other way around. Think of some sacred music you've heard on the word "Hallelujah" that are sugary, legato and maybe even slow and quiet. Totally out of context and does not connect with the words and their intended use.

Whatever antecedents the Star Spangled Banner might have begun with doesn't change the fact that the words and music, when they became the national anthem, are stirring and extroverted. Botti's version is no different in its disconnect with the text than a church choir bowing their heads and singing a slow, maudlin "Hallelujah", which is contrary to its extroverted and joyous intention; a Hebrew "yeehah!" if you will.

Like I said, Botti's version is very musical and very well done. But that still doesn't alter the fact that it does not jibe with the words and in the case of a national anthem it would seem to me, for patriotic if no other reasons, that a performance of it should reflect the intent and emotion of the text.

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Here's an interpretation that arguably fits the lyrics more closely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzZh6-h9fM

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I really don't think God cares all that much about how a church choir sings ... as long as they are making a "joyful noise".

And I think most people are happy with artistic interpretations of the National Anthem.

Mike

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I'm sure that when our congregation sings, God listens. I imagine Him saying: "What on Earth is that racket?!".

8. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    I didn't care for the High C in the second to last line or the out of tune E at the end, but except for those 2 notes I thought his rendition was wonderful. I hate listening to those Mariahbeyoncechristinabimbos or their wannabes who are more interested in the frills than the music. Botti's playing was tasteful, respectful, and brilliantly understated. I would bet that most of the people listening didn't get it.

-John

9. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I liked Mr. Botti's rendition of the National Anthem.

I like when artists tastefully interpret the anthem of a nation that was formed in part to guarantee it's citizens the freedom to express themselves as they wish.

Bravo! :play:

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Wow, so now we have posters who can speak for God. I can't top that.