Chris Botti National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMD, Nov 3, 2014.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Wow. So now we have posters who speak for God. Well, I can't top that.

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well, cyber-gremlins are not allowing me to delete/post so I'll go ahead and add a comment here. Apologies for the not-consolidated posts.

Reportedly, God is a pretty forgiving guy. At least tolerant when people act in good faith. However, that is totally irrelevant to the parallel I drew with the text of "Hallelujah", which is a comment about text painting, not whether or not God would or would not like that.

3. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I never cared much for the over the top versions that many have gone crazy for. Whitney's Super Bowl Version never appealed to me. I'm sure Patty LaBelle has probably performed it in the same way. No disrespect meant to these artists. (Whitney, rest in peace.) I enjoyed Whitney's recordings and have always liked Patty LaBelle.
    Chris Botti's version may not be everyone's cup of tea. It was light years better than the recent World Series debacle. Anyone remember the hack job Carl Lewis did to this piece some years back?
    Chris treated the song with respect and taste.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    ...unlike that POS (Particularly Offensive Singer) Roseanne Barr.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, God is forgiving. I forgive you.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    POS could also stand for: "Possibly otic sterility", [in other words: tone death] in Roseanne Barr's case.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Of interest, if you play the accompanying video by Entertainment Tonight that appeared after playing the original version they state that Chris' version is becoming as positive of a response then the all time response approval achieved by Whitney's Super Bowel Version. I don't believe there is another trumpet player that could achieve that type of notoriety.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So, a new recruit into heaven is on his "Orientation Tour" of heaven by St. Peter. It is lunch time, and they go into the lunch hall at the point where St. Peter states: "Yes, here in heaven, everyone is treated as equal", when all of a sudden, an individual dressed in a white coat with a stethoscope around the neck butts up to the front of the lunch line. The new recruit asks St. Peter, "Hey, I thought all was equal in heaven. How is it that that individual gets preference to going to the front of the line?" St. Peter responds, "Oh, that's just God, He thinks He's a physician."

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This was my point for starting this thread. It was to celebrate Chris' performance. It wasn't to impose our personal expectations of how this song (or any song) should be played.

My only issue --- Gary's delusion that he is God. On a forum full of trumpet players, you're likely going to have a lot of competition. ;-)

Mike

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Most likely so by all the physician trumpet players on this site.;-)