Chris Botti National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMD, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Jersey Dave

Jersey Dave New Friend

Jan 23, 2012
    Branchburg,n.j.
    Yes, he's a very nice guy and not only a wonderful musician and entertainer, but has always taken the time to sign and take pictures after his concerts. He has especially been very helpful to my son with advice and encouragement for the last 7 years, as he is now a junior in college and working toward a music-ed. degree..We try to see Chris whenever he's in the area and have been going to the Blue Note for the last 7 years around his 3 weeks there...if you haven't seen him, the Blue Note is the best place to catch him...

2. Frankie Prive

Frankie Prive New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    Mansfield UK
    A truly beautiful sound. Can't fail to be moved by it.

3. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
  4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    It could also stand for Post-Operatic Spitting, like her salivary emphasis after she was done.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    LOL. Clever.

6. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    0:40/0:41 - reminds me of the animated Chuck Mangione in King of the Hill, who has the habit of playing anything, then turning it into "Feels So Good"...

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  8. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    It was very much played in the same style as Hornsby and Marsalis's rendition. I loved it! I wish the piano was just a bit louder though. I would definitely rank this one in my top five.
    1. Branford and Bruce
    2.Madison Rising
    3. Phil Driscoll
    4. Botti
    5. Jon Batiste

9. SLagonia

SLagonia New Friend

Sep 28, 2012
    Westchester NY
    Bach 3C -

What's great is since that performance I have had two requests to play it at events - I guess just raising the awareness of the beauty of the instrument was worthwhile!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe it is time that we went back to the good old school bands playing the "approved" versions?

I do think that ANYTIME a countries anthem is played, that singalong is the reason. When an artist takes too many liberties, then it becomes more about the artist and less about America, land of the free, home of the brave. There is plenty of artistic license possible without ignoring the words, which are the reason that this is even played at all!

The real solution is not playing the anthem at all if it is just a showcase for, or more about a living person than the original cause. Another tune would be more respectful in any case.

Other than that, Botti proved that he can play much more than bedroom jazz.