Chris Botti Net Worth $ 8,000,000 in 2011

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chuck Cox, Dec 22, 2011.

1. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    Great for Chris. Good to see a musician able to make a living plying his trade.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You don't have to like it, but to put him down thusly is somewhat offensive to those of us who do enjoy what he does. Because his music is accessible does not mean he panders to his fans.

If you truly don't get it, that should be a signal to you to be circumspect in your criticism. Sour grapes. Says a lot about you, Satch, and not much about anything else.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You are absolutely right - you don't get it. Many of us do and that should tell you something. Reducing him to right place/right time is pretty naive. I think that we get your point. I hope that you get ours.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Playing the trumpet won't make us all wealthy, but it can make both the listener and the player richer.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'm with SB. Just not seeing the huge fan base for someone so ordinary (among professionals, that is).

No, I'm not jealous. Being a "rock star" trumpet player has its downside.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yep, AND I noticed James Morrison's bio included him singing songs, and born in UK....so maybe between both James Morrisons' you get the bucks; what if they included Jim Morrison...

I am sure Tom would look after his kin,:-)

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I can understand where some people would see Chris as the "Kenny G" of trumpet. A lot of his older albums have that style of music. However that doesn't make him the Kenny G of trumpet.

I even thought of him as that kind of trumpeter until his Live in Boston album came out. THEN I went to see him live in Grand Rapids and he put on the best concert I've ever seen. For a long time I thought his incredible sound had some "studio magic" surrounding it...but I was WRONG.

At the concert he did an encore without a mic and he sounded the same. Plus, the concert in itself showed that he can play more than "smooth jazz" and "easy listening". He did his rendition of "The Look of Love" with a female singer (don't remember name but not the same gal from the Boston gig)...at one point Botti was in an improv solo and he started busting out some seriously legit jazz (including licks from Gillespie's Manteca)...It. Was. Incredible. I gained a LOT of respect for Chris at that concert.

Kujo

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    +1 (same experience here)

9. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I'm glad to hear someone say that he didn't use the "studio magic". I was talking to someone recently that said it's easy to play smooth jazz because it's all about the (what you call studi magic) stuff used to make the player sound good. "Anyone can play that way, all you need to know is how to play the songs".

I just didn't get that. I haven't been to any of Chris' concerts YET! but I've seen him on the television live and I didn't really hear the studio magic stuff. Maybe I don't listen well enough, but didn't hear it.

10. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Money aside, because I think that's a pretty ridiculous barometer, Chris is an excellent musician. I had the pleasure of working with him in the late 80's and early 90's in NYC before he became a solo artist. He is a down to earth, humble guy. His improvisational abilities go far beyond what he leaves on the stage at his concerts. He can play to the situation, not just "play everything at all times". It seems to be fashionable to bash him, but he's a bad dude!

TK