Chris Botti

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by dauminator3, Dec 3, 2003.

1. dauminator3

dauminator3 Pianissimo User

I just picked up A Thousand Kisses Deep. I'm digging it. I love his melow tone and smooth playing. You might look into it even though it is bordering smooth jazz, which is not my preference...

Jared

2. TheGlue

TheGlue New Friend

Nov 12, 2003
    Jared,

I really like that new Botti CD also. He really sounds great on Indian Summer, which to me really sounds like a relaxed, feel good sort of song.

-Erik

3. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    I haven't heard this cd, actually. Although I'm not at all heavy into the smooth thing. I do have at least one of Botti's cds which I originally bought mainly to keep up and informed as to what trumpet players are up to on the pro scene.

I recommended this recording on another well-known trumpet site. So I'll mention again that if anyone would like to investigate an excellent example of Botti really digging in and playing jazz that isn't of the smooth type you should check his work out on a cd called "Trumpets Eleven", featureing (of course) eleven awesome mother ___ trumpet players. This recording won't see the light of day on the radio and is totally lacking in commercial sales power. FWIW, I bought mine online at the following address.
    http://www.hip-bonemusic.com/
    Larry

4. dauminator3

dauminator3 Pianissimo User

My favorite is number 3..The Look of Love..I can't imagine playing any licks as clean as any of these great players. Every other note would be attacked while the valve is half way down or cracking a bunch...I have a lot to learn....

Jared

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i think this is recorded with his "new" older Martin. 8)

6. JoeCool

JoeCool New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Austin, TX
    wow, larry, you used to really rag on CB at TH. i'm glad you found something that you really liked. he can really play, man.

i love botti, man. he is this generation's herb a. too bad the music scene is such a downer with all the mindless rap, hip-hop, techno mumbo jumbo and the like. botti writes excellent stuff. i really dig his groove, man. rick b. is right in there too. i love his flugel work. too much good music is lost in the shuffle.

just an afterthought. check out his night sessions live. the soundtrack is a little wack, but it is an excellent DVD into the essence of Chris Botti. i would give my left nut for his gig, man.

7. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    THe Look of Love is my favorite track as well. He has such a great sound and feel for the music. I think this CD is his best to date. I remember last year when HBO had a special Chris Botti and friends - one of which was Sting who he toured with for a couple of years. He went into the audience and played close to people and didn't overpower them.

He is playing a 1949 Medium bore Martin Committee - which if you look at the CD has almost totally lost its lacquer. He plays a NY Bach 3C mouthpiece because he likes the sound it gives him versus the newer 3C's. A fun player to listen to.

Mike

8. ThePlanets9

ThePlanets9 New Friend

Jan 14, 2004
    KY
    I really like Chris Botti too, but I like Night Sessions better than A Thousand Kisses Deep. He uses his "new" old horn on this one. I think that overall Night Sessions has a "darker", more melancholy feel. Not that A Thousand Kisses Deep is bad, because its great, I just like Night Sessions better. Check it out! 8)

9. Seinman

Seinman New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Derby, UK
    I too love his sound, but I am not too thrilled about his latest CD, his weakest too date in my view. I would love to hear him play straight ahead Jazz. But that sound, it is that sound that to me is amazing.

BTW, he now plays a 1941 Committee, not 1949. Clue is in the traditional water keys.

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I've only heard "Indian Summer", but I found it boring and too repetitive for my liking. That said, what a great sound he makes!