Chris Botti's New Album Impressions is now available.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't thank me... Thank Chris!

2. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    Oblivion really stands out fort me. But then again,
    as an Astor Piazzolla fan, I guess it should.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Our band had a gig in Pittsburgh last evening, and on the long trip to the Steel City, we play CD's the entire way. Eddie, our leader is the wise jazz pro of the group, so I wanted to challenge him. I hid the new Chris Botti CD from site and told everyone in the van to look away while I inserted it. I played cut 6, Tango Suite, and asked all in the van to name the trumpet player. First out by all was Miles Davis... but they were not familiar with the tune. I then said, that is because it is a brand new CD. Then the name Wallace Roney came out by all. I said no... no to the next guess... no to the next... They had no clue who it was. When I pulled out the Impressions CD case they all gasped. Eddie said... anyone that can sound that much like Miles has total control of the trumpet... and is an excellent player.

I then played the CD for our sax player who came in his own car during a break. Same hidden CD treatment. His response... Miles Davis with a Gill Evans arrangement. I told him it's a new release. He responded... where did the find this vintage Miles cut... my response... it was JUST RECORDED. He said Wallace Roney. He was blown away when I pulled out the CD case.

There you have it... Chris Botti can play jazz as well as the best... he just chooses to take the step one better, and apply his art to all forms of music... I guess that is following in Miles footsteps!

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    My wife gave me Impressions yesterday for my birthday ! She knows what Chuck likes ;-). I put on Summertime ( to compare it to Miles version )
    then Over The Rainbow ( which I love ), then What a Wonderful World ( the arrangement with the weird vocalist was a let down ). I like the CD and especially Tango Suite !

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tango Suite is one of the most inspirational, emotional, artistical piece... EVER... I believe it outdoes Mile's Fleminco Sketches.

6. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    If I didn't know better, I'd think you're trying to start a fight.

7. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    its personal preference.

I personally think "Losing You" is the most emotional track on the cd.

8. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    The negative with simply downloading from iTunes or Amazon is that there are no liner notes.
    The positive aspect is the elegance of digital storage (and no physical storage).

I want to check this album out.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    If you guys like it so much .... I'll have to check it out. I've always liked Chris' playing. I think it's exciting that we have these top flight trumpeters around who you can see in concert and then go and meet in person. (Trombone Shorty is coming this way later in the summer).

Turtle

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Listened to two tunes on Youtube. Awfully nice. Chris plays a little lick on Tango . . . didn't make a note when, but wow. The whole less is more thing. I like it very much.