Chris Botti's New Album Impressions is now available.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey there- Stay out of our little mutual admiration society!!! I am almost blushing now. But not quite......:oops:

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Editor... The dude's my editor (he got the promotion six months ago - make a note of it). Thanks. Now make sure I keep the text clean for my Chris Botti posts BigDub... As clean as Chris Bottis sound! That IS a tough job to do isn't it?

3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    OK. Proceed to send me hate mail. I played this album to a new band director and he said "Chuck Mangione?". I took offense at first, but it got me thinking........not A bad analogy, not perfect, but a similar genre?

4. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    I wouldn't put them in the same genre, unless "trumpet (flugelhorn) for the masses" is the genre in question. As someone who really enjoyed Chuck Mangione back in the day and had all the albums, there's a startling difference. The main one is that Chris Botti uses a lot of techno tricks to achieve a great deal of his sound. Also, much of Mangione's work was not based on standards or the writing of others; and I really like Botti's playing, so I'm not in the anti-Botti camp. I think your band director is bitter, to be honest; first at Mangione's success and now Botti's. I do understand how some traditionalists did not like Mangione and now feel the same about Chris Botti.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    No hate here. There's simply tons more art.

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Actually, my co-band director meant the Mangione/Botti comparison as a compliment. He thought Botti's big dark sound was very flugel-like. To be honest, this band director was a guitar major in college!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not anywhere close... but the key point here is it was a NEW band director. Obviously still wet behind the ear, but hopefully with experience the fluid will dry before it reaches the brain and continues the rotting process. As for you transition from first taking offense to not a bad analogy... Get away quick from the band director before this perception infection spreads and attacks you.

These are very different players. Different approach... different phrasing... different choice of material (I doubt Chuck could pull off the classical styling’s that Chris so lusciously exudes from the horn), So no hate, just compassion that you heal yourself from an infectious source of a new (acutely) inflicted band director.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This is really untrue. His sound is just fine w/o any tricks - when I saw him live he shed the mike and came into the audience to play, and his sound, right out of the bell with no gimmicks, is awesome.

I am not saying his albums are not well-engineered and there are no effects present, just that his sound doesn't need any help from technology

9. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    I was going to continue my comments to say roughly the same thing... that Chris doesn't need to have all the reverb, doublers and other electronic support. He's good enough not to rely on these things. My feeling is that the manipulation of the trumpet with these devises takes away from the music (I say this as someone who is more of a trumpet purist). You should know, however, the use of reverb is still in place when he plays in concert, even though he's walking through the audience. This is through the mic on his horn and the sound board.
    -Blair

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    When I saw him he REMOVED the mic from his horn. There was no augmentation or treatment of his sound in any way for that. I think he could play without the mic, but he would probably have trouble hearing himself.

Not trynig to be argumentative - just sayin'.