Chris Gekker: Notes on Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldenick, Feb 26, 2008.

1. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT
    Schwab likes this.
  2. wvtrumpet

wvtrumpet Pianissimo User

May 14, 2004
    West Virginia
    i read this a few years ago, and honestly forgot how informative. Thanks for sharing.

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Like Vince DiMartino, Chris Gekker is not only a great player, but also a great teacher. Five of my former students have been in his studio at U of MD, and they have improved so much. They think very highly of him.
    Do you have his books? I think they are all available from Chas. Colin. They are a big part of my practice routine.

Roy Griffin

4. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    The Gekker books are great!

5. mikeblutman

mikeblutman New Friend

Jul 17, 2005
    Some of Chris's views have changed in the 25 years or so since he wrote that article. I believe Chris told me that "Notes on Practicing" was written as a summer practice guide for his students at Brooklyn College in the early 1980's. It is interesting to compare what he emphasizes in the "Notes on Practicing" with some of his later writing on similar subjects.

Some favorites include his two summer practice routines, written in 2002 and 2003. Me and a few other students at U Maryland asked Chris to help us with our summer conditioning while we worked various jobs, yielding two phenominal articles that frame Chris's views on developing physically on the trumpet as well as musically. Both are published in the back of his recently published piccolo trumpet book (published by Charles Colin Publishing).

The preface to his "Endurance Drills for Performance Skills" (also by Colin Publishing) is terrific because he addresses so directly the challenges and rewards of a life as a musical craftsman.

My introduction to Chris as a teacher was his article on "Developing Solo, Quintet, and Orchestral Endurance."

MJ likes this.
  6. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT
    An Army buddy of mine was stationed at Fort Hamilton NY and studied with Chris Gekker when he was teaching at the Hart School in CT. He pointed me towards the web article which led to his books. That would have been in the mid 80's. I use his books and I just love how direct he is about what it takes to play well.

7. Spence

Spence New Friend

Apr 11, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    Does anyone have links to the other articles he has written?

8. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT