Chris Martin interview with DCI

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by ROGERIO, Nov 9, 2005.

1. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
  2. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Seems like a nice kid.
    Damn, I feel old.
    Hell, I am old.
    ... but not quite done yet~ :D

greg

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    That's all good stuff. I'll admit I used to be biased against Drum Core and marching bands, but I've met a lot of really great musicians who started out in programs like those. The second clip really nailed it right on the head when Chris Martin talked about the discipline he learned by marching. There are a lot of creative musicians out there who lack the discipline to make it in the music world. I think some time in a structured, disciplined program like that would do me some good, but I'm not sure I would make it through it.
    -Jimi

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
  5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Greg- I hear ya. Not dead yet, though. He was stomping toes just when I was "aging out"!

Discipline does come from within. But a situation like that (being in Spirit, Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Santa Clara or Phantom or any top 12 corps) does bring it out of you. I would venture to say that being in any top-rate arts organization be it a youth symphony, youth jazz ensemble or youth wind symphony would do the same. But thinking about the kids that get into those organizations, they are the ones who already know how to harness it to some extent. They wouldn't have made it there if they didn't.

Critical, even more than the discipline factor, is what he mentioned about parent involvement. That enables kids. It gives them the sense that what they are doing is important and valued, so they will pursue it. The kids who are the best ball players have parents who are constantly playing ball with them, taking them here to there for games and practices. Music is no different, really. Play with and for your kids; get them to and from their lessons. Go to their concerts. Take them out for ice cream after they play for solo festival. Let them know by showing them that what they do is important; that you understand and appreciate it.

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I think when someone does something in a highly structured environment that is not discipline, that is control since they had practically no choice but to do the task. True discipline is doing what is needed when no one is around to check up on you.

I will add that I have seen more people burned out by drum corp. and unable to stay with music or finish college than I have seen led to successful careers in music.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree there. In conservatory situations some people flourish, but there are also those we don't hear of who give up. Many drop like flies. I witnessed it first hand at Eastman. Every class (not graduate) started with five and never ended up with five when it came to graduation. 99.9% of the time it was NOT because they were getting jobs either.

8. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Many disciplines have high fallout ratios. Music is right up there though. If I think back on all my friends who played, many with God given, serious talent, who dropped out somewhere along the way..... oh my God! I think back to my days of martial art studies. The number of folks who can hang with it long term, even to the black belt level (really a starting point) is miniscule compared to those who give it a go. Also, thinking back to my academic studies in electronic technology, less than half the gang I started out with made it to graduation. So many fall off the track. It takes a ton of discipline and work. Preach it!