Christmas Concert brought to you by - Leroy Andserson

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Tonight at rehersal we received all the music for our upcoming Christmas Concert.

Every piece is from Leroy Anderson.

Should be a fun concert! I had no idea that he had written some of these songs.

Probably the funnest piece we played tonight was "Old Macdonald had a Farm".

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    An all Leroy Anderson concert can be a real lesson in lush mushy stuff. I know this is the 100th anniversary of his birth and I had to do one earlier this year. A piece or two is fine, but all Anderson is a lesson is mush.

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I agree with S.Croomer. We played some Anderson in an earlier concert and that was ok. With the "mandatory" Sleigh Ride and Christmas Festival pieces we will be doing at the Christmas concert in about an month, that's enough. Our guest star is Doug LeBreque of Broadway fame, so that should be a crowd pleaser and accompianment experience, like our varied guests over the years.:-) Our prior conductor actually programmed most of a concert with waltzes arranged for concert band! That will live in infamy.:evil:

4. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    You need to be playing "Bugler's Holiday" by Leroy Anderson --definitely not mush!

5. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    We are playing that one for sure!

Sleigh Ride
    Christmas Festival
    Plink, Plank, Plunk - Violins love this one
    Last Rose
    Old Macdonald
    Forgotten Dreams -guest pianist
    Suite of Carols for Woodwinds

Might be mush but it is nice to take a break from the "normal" orchestral pieces and some of these tunes are just downright fun to play.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why not a complete L.A. concert. Why can't one just enjoy 2 hours of harmony, clean orchestration and tunes that you will be haunted by for weeks thereafter.