christmas duets sheet music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Oct 13, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    My nephew will be bringing his tenor sax for our Christmas family get together. I thought it would be fun to play some holiday songs, with me joining him on trumpet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Since we both play Bb instruments, and are intermediate players, I was wondering if any combination would work. I'm having a hard time finding any music to play.

2. DIS

DIS Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    If I understand what you're asking, if you have a duet for two Eb instruments (e.g, alto saxophones), yes, two Bb instruments (e.g., trumpet and tenor) could play the parts as written. However, if the arrangement is intended for other instruments as well (e.g., piano and bass) the two Bb instruments would need to transpose. Otherwise the trumpet and tenor would be playing in a key that's different from the piano and bass.

I have about ten simple holiday duets. They include rhythm section parts but can be played without rhythm section. If you'd like a description, I'd be happy to send it.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I'm sure there are duets arranged for instructor and student etc.

Duets for two Bb trumpets or two Bb saxes should work OK Bb trumpet and Bb sax, maybe even better.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've transposed parts back and forth into for and from Bb, F, Eb, C, and BBb instruments. No, never from or to A or D instruments. The music keys weren't a problem, but in some circumstances I changed these before transposing.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Dillon has some Salvation Army books, parts all the way to 3rd and 4ths........Buck:oops:

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Kendor has published a series of 3 volumes of very excellent Christmas duets, arranged by Lloyd Conley and called "Christmas For Two." They're available for all instruments and even in an edition for Alto and Tenor sax. All the volumes are interchangeable, so any mixture of instruments can play, if they a part specified for their instrument. So you could buy a volume for 2 tenor saxes and play very nicely with trumpet and tenor. Or you could buy the volume for 2 trumpets and the volume for 2 tenor saxes, and have your nephew play the lower part in the book for two tenors while you play the upper part in the book for two trumpets. And the arrangements are very very nice, not simply "melody on top with harmony on bottom" but rather nicely interwoven works of art which are loads of fun to play and listen to.

7. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    thanks dhbailey, thats exactly what I'm looking for.

8. DIS

DIS Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    x

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  9. DIS

DIS Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Note that the Kendor collection by Conley is only the old traditional carols--old chestnuts, no fresh chestnuts roasting on an open fire.