Christmas Performance Time

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by gmonady, Nov 27, 2018.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I just received a song list for a Christmas Eve performance at the Lutheran Church that I initially was hired to play for their Easter Service. So for the Christmas performance in addition to the specific song list posted, the pastor ended the list with: "...chose a prelude or two if you wish." So could anyone here on TM with Christmas performances (Perhaps within the Lutheran song book) refer to a prelude that would work for this venue.

Many thanks in advance!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And please, other TM members, please do use this forum for your own Christmas Performance updates or needs.

3. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Solo trumpet with organ just playing from the Concordia Lutheran Service Book hymns has worked well for me (so long as you have an organist who can play without playing your line too). Some that have worked for me:
    - The Angel Gabriel from Heaven Came (LSB 356) - it's Advent, but this is before the start of the Christmas service so ... You can add some nice embellishment to the simple tune.
    - Come, Your Hearts and Voices Raising (LSB 375) Again, easy little tune to embellish on second time through.
    - Once in Royal David's City (LSB 376)
    - Of the Father's Love Begotten (LSB 384) This chant tune only works if you have a bell that can be tolled at the points indicated in the organ book, otherwise it would be a bit odd.
    - Infant Holy, Infant Lowly (LSB 393) - truth be told, this and O Come O Come Emanuel are ones I only did on Euphonium - solo alone at first, feather in the organ bass line third stanza, tenor fourth stanza, then all voices second time through. Not sure about that on trumpet.

Sturmbill and gmonady like this.