Christmas Presents

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Tootsall, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    So.... we've been reading about what everyone would have like to receive for Christmas... how about what you GOT!?

My daughter found a guy who has "invented" a new mute stand! Essentially a tray of plastic with a rim to prevent things from sliding off and a clamp that allows it to be clipped onto a Manhassett (or other) stand, he has just developed them and is in process of getting some kind of legal protection. I've passed a couple of suggestions along to him (one of which is to line the tray with that soft, sticky plastic used for non-skid mats in motorhome cupboards...for soundproofing as well as helping prevent things from falling off). A slightly larger clamp will allow it to be used on stands with larger diameter uprights as well.

He is planning on making them in two sizes...one for trumpet and one for trombone mutes.

Cool idea. (Maybe he could come up with a "cradle" to hold a Monette trumpet!? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Does it come in larger sizes?

That would just about cope with my piccolo mutes, the Bb and Eb ones would need another rack or two - yes, I am talking about using all of these on the one gig!

3. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Nice idea. Looks like some kind of bar across the front would be needed. I can just see me pulling a mute from the back of the rack and nocking the others off only to have them roll down the risers to the front of the wind ensemble. :cry:

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yes, he is either planning or already has one for trombone mutes that would be larger.

I was thinking about things falling off the front as well as pencils rolling "out the back" when I suggested carpet or (preferably) that sticky foam padding.

5. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

I got a new Wild Thing fluglehorn for Christmas. It was quite a surprise and I'm sooooo excited!

I got other stuff too, but not musical stuff.

Tom

6. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    mmmm...sounds interesting Tootsall although I don't mind picking mine up from the floor so wouldn't really need it!

You're an engineer - would it be possible to harness the energy from the sound waves of a trumpet into a tuner so it wouldn't need batteries?! Hey presto (no pun intended!) as soon as you play at it it turns on and is powered by the sound waves!

I got a digital camera for Christmas so I may take some pics of my savannah Eclipse flugel for you if you let me know how to post them.

Happy Christmas,
    MM

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    re: sound energy to power tuner.... it should be possible. Mostly dependant upon how much of the sound energy can be captured and turned back into electrical potential to drive the thing. Gotta remember the laws of thermodynamics. The conversion efficiencies are likely to be fairly low which may weigh heavily against it being feasible (though theoretically possible)

Still, probably the best system for tuning without batteries is one that we've already got.... our ears and brain!

To post pictures they must first be on an internet website. There are several "hosting services" where you can "pin up" your private photos. Some of them are 'pay to play' and others are "freebie...to a point". You can generally "lock" the albums so that nobody else can get in and mess around with your snaps. I use http://www.photobucket.com but there are certainly more than that available.

One you've got them in an on-line album then you have to copy and paste the link in here. You do that by expanding the photo in the album and then doing a "right click/properties/copy" from the hosting site, coming to TM and starting to write a post. At the magic time you can simply type <[​IMG] and it should show up. I am sure there is another, simpler way (using the URL tag above?).

I got one other present that I'm cranked up about....but had to buy it myself at the "day after" sales. I found a 1 GIG data card to put in my digital camera. Now I can save up to 400 photos at the 4 megapixel resolution or 4,000 at lowest resolution without having to download! This is significant since I'm planning to take the family to Germany in '06 and don't want to have to hassle with film 'n stuff. Just pack a 220V battery charger and awayyy we go. I couldn't believe how much those "chips" or cards have come down in price..... $80 Cdn for 1 gig! :bravo:

8. music matters

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Thanks for your advice Tootsall re. pictures. I am still getting to grips with my new digital camera as I was into SLR's for many years and preferred completely manual ones!!

Wow that's cheap for a 1gig card. They are much more expensive over here in Dubai. I went to Berlin a few years ago and it's a great city - are you going there?

MM

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    'Fraid not... no Berlin. I lived in Europe for 4 years when I was a kid (Air Force brat) and took a real liking to Switzerland and the area around there. We did not get to spend as much time in Bavaria nor Austria as I would have liked.

Flash forward fourty-five years or so and it turns out that the guy who we rent a cabin from each summer is from Bavaria and has invited us to stay with he and his family in their 200+ year old farm house up the side of a mountain S.W. of Munich. He's got a condo down near the Matterhorn that we've been given the use of as well. Our last two kids will be in their final "summer at home" (just before their last year of high school) and it's our last chance for a big vacation together. Put all that in a hat and shake it up and there isn't much of an excuse NOT to go!

10. music matters

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Sounds wonderful! try to get to hear a traditional alphorn if you can - a real treat!!!

MM